The Walter White home office - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

The Walter White home office

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 23)
Hi all, I have an unusual office for you, I currently live in a 1989 Fleetwood Bounder RV. 31 Feet of luxury, let me tell you. Why the Walter White home office? Well, if you never watched the show Breaking Bad, he made his Heisenberg meth in a 1988 version...but they look identical.

Anyway, I started with a single monitor on the dinette table, but now that I am working from home, a second montior and laptop have been added. So I ended up with this unholy mess. BTW, everythign you see on the desk are things I use on a regular basis...and there was also nowhere else for them to go...and yes, I vape, have for a year. So much better for me than smoking.

When I work, I actually have to move the wireless key in front to the floor or my lap just to get it out of the way...oh, I mean "HAD". I started today by moving everything off of the desk and removing the table...

Immediately, I see a flaw in my plan to leave the "springs" for the bed that the dinette area can convert into, they will get in the way of the pieces I plan to install to turn the benches into support for the desk and storage which I badly need. So out they go.

Space cleaned and prepped, ignore the toaster on the left, it was naughty.

Time to start cutting...this is where I went wrong a bit. I whould have double checked ALL of my initial measurements...but it is nothign I can't recover from, I'll explain in a bit... first of all, the WOOD!

3/4 inch 4'x8' sheets, two are being used. This is a finished product, it has a real maple veneer on both sides, appears to have a polyurethane sealant already applied. Very slick, and by that I mean, it is very slippery...and pretty slick too. This is high quality plywood and was a pretty good deal at $136 for the two sheets. Together, not separately. So after some lunch I cut the most "complex" piece, the top monitor level.

This is where i started kicking myself for not checking my measurements. The original measurement that I was working on said this level was going to be 39 inches high...even with the 1 inch drop from removing the padded tops of the benches, I was nowhere near 39 inches...which threw a monkey wrench into the works, as my actual desktop for my keyboard, mouse, etc, was supposed to be a 2nd desktop suspended 9 inches below the monitor stand. So a minor redesign was needed...and a change to a 20 inch deep new desktop. I will be putting a cut down version of the monitor level on top of this desktop instead of suspending it. The desk is about 30" high for my keyboards, which is fine, I can raise my chair some (most desks are 24-27 inches high or so). I seem to have misplaced the WIP pic of the bare desk, but I had to shut things down before I got as much done as I wanted today. Let me tell you, wresting with 4x8 sheets of plywood and standing and cutting all day does a number on herniated disks in the lower back. Anyway, I moved everything back from the bedroom temporarily and here is the desk's current state. I have a cut down top and about 10-12 pieces in the garage waiting for a few more pieces and lots of sanding of edges tomorrow. I would kill for a full on belt sander. smile.gif

Anyway, all piled to the side, at least I have the laptop to post from. smile.gif

You can see the bases for the side units and the temp braces in the middle. I will see if those can go away, I should have enough support pieces to support it well enough from the sides.

Back willing, there will be more of an update tomorrow. Oh, and the unfinished raw plywood edges will be trimmed with edgebanding, I just haven't decided if I am going with Maple to complement the top, white (future computer build I am planning will be white as well) or black for a contrast to the lighter veneer. 25' rolls of the stuff are cheap enough I could order all three to see what I like best. I will decide next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

One more thing. A few weeks I ordered a new chair from DX Racer...for the last two weeks, I have had a huge box occupying entirely too much room, so I was very glad to finally put it together.

Look at that shiny all aluminum base. So sweet.

Here is the assembled chair -

Pretty comfortable, some have complained about overly soft cushions, but I find it to be quite supportive so far. Just wish I could actually lean back in it right now...damn back. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I didn't make much progress today. I realized that the pieces where the seats cushions used to be are 1/4 of an inch lower in the rear than the front. Thanks, Fleetwood!

So tomorrow, er...today I will pick up some 1/4 inch trim pieces to use as shims, then I will be off to the races again and should be able to complete everything. Step one will be complete and I will be able to move on to my next project which is replacing horrible soft tubing with hardline. That probably won't be until late June or July.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, quite a bit more done today, was able to pick up a 6 foot piece of trim to use as a shim, then trimmed the side pieces up to get them to fit...Had to lose a 1/4 of an inch on 5 seperate pieces.

Really pissed that I knocked a little of the veneer off of the desktop on such an obvious corner...but I was having issues manhandling some of the pieces the last two days.

Working on fitting the side pieces...

Hours later, some swearing and in need of painkillers, here is how things are pretty much right now. I still have a ton of organizing to do and to figure out if I am going to put shelves in the side sections next weekend or find some other organizing option.

Also added a LED light underneath the center section of the monitor stand.

Oh, I will probably add the white trim I picked up next weekend. Need to locate an iron for it. smile.gif

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7Design View Post

Looking good there thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks man!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It has been a busy couple of months. My contract that was supposed to run to the end of October was abruptly terminated two weeks ago, and I found out today that it might resume in the next 2-4 months, but no telling what will happen now. Well, back to the job search.

Of course, the best way to get over this set back is to do a little desk modification, and as the Alesis Elevate 5 speakers I ordered a while back came in today, seemed like a perfect time to start the edge banding as I had to cut down the monitor stand a little and decided to make some platforms for the speakers to sit on.

A pic of the whole desk, still organizing some things, but I have cleared the counter behind me pretty much and this is as probably as pristine as my desk will ever be.

Left side from my point of view -

You can see the white edgebanding... I will work on the lower sections of the desk later.

And the right side -

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 30)
Looks good. Toe those speakers in a little bit. Have you considered MoPads?

Corsair 500R
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme P67 B3
i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
2x4GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
WD Velociraptor 150GB
Intel 510 120GB
ASUS Direct CuII GTX 580 1.5GB
Corsair HX850
Corsair 500R
Also C2D system, ipad 2, HP laptop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in