[Desk Build Log] Custom corner desk with triple monitor support! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Desk Build Log] Custom corner desk with triple monitor support!

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
Custom Triple Monitor Corner Desk Build Log

This desk started off as a thought about a year ago. The same day I thought of this, I went and built it, didn't use any CAD, didn't have any fancy calculations or anything, just built it to how I wanted it to be, with what I had. To put it simply, a dumb IKEA-lookalike desk wasn't going to cut it anymore.

Thus the first incarnation of my desk was built:

As you can see it's constructed of 2x4's and a sheet of 1/2" OSB. It stayed like this for about a month before I decided to paint the desk:

(Watching Law Abiding Citizen tongue.gif)

You can see at that point I had the had the same monitors that I have now (except that the red line on the right monitor magically fixed itself since), and also had the prototype lighting under the monitors as well as the arudino stuff above the keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
It stayed like that up until about a month ago, when I decided that I no longer liked the dingy, rough, white desktop. I considered buying a sheet of vinyl and then cutting and gluing that down, but that was going to cost about $60 for the vinyl alone, so I didn't really care for that idea.
I considered buying a nice piece of 1/4" plywood and sanding it perfectly smooth and placing that on the desk.
Then I found a video on youtube, by theibookguy, and in it he showed his solution to a custom desktop, he used 1/4" thick vinyl tiles, and glued them down.

I decided to go with a modified version of what he did. I figured I'd try to use the thinner, cheaper, 1/8" thick vinyl self stick tiles. Since my desk was perfectly 5'x2' (except for the corners) I purchased 11 tiles, at $1.08 a piece at Lowes!

This post will be updated with more pictures and info soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in