Best Office Chair / Gaming Chair? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best Office Chair / Gaming Chair?

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 50 (Unique: 46)
I'm looking for a good office/gaming chair since my chair is overdue and my back is screaming. I'm looking for a really comfortable chair that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (+$350, unless I'll never need to replace it for a few years).

I keep seeing DXRacer chairs, but I've watched a streamer called Summit1G and is thinking about getting a new chair and it has been a year-ish since DXRacer donated him a chair. Are they worth the hype or should I just get a good Serta chair? Links are appreciated.

poke.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 05:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
I have a DXRacer chair. On the lower end models, the chair is rather narrow. There are wings that are designed to keep you in the middle of the seat through a turn in a race car. In an office chair these aren't needed and since they are made of steel it can get uncomfortable. I am using another cushion on top of the seat to alleviate this. I believe that the higher end models are wider with more padding so they may not have this problem.

If I were to get another chair, I would probably get the Knoll Chadwick.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Hmmm, anyone with experience with the high end DX chairs? Dont want to buy a chair then buy a cushion to put on an expensive chair I just bought.

poke.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyreSpirit View Post

Hmmm, anyone with experience with the high end DX chairs? Dont want to buy a chair then buy a cushion to put on an expensive chair I just bought.

Save your money and buy something of higher quality if you want true comfort. No point in spending $300-500 on ANY dxracer or maxnomic / gaming type chair unless you want it for looks and mediocre comfort.

Don't get me wrong, the chairs can be made with decent build quality, but there is no comparison between high end chairs which might cost a little more, such as a herman miller aeron or something to that effect.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabet View Post

Save your money and buy something of higher quality if you want true comfort. No point in spending $300-500 on ANY dxracer or maxnomic / gaming type chair unless you want it for looks and mediocre comfort.

Don't get me wrong, the chairs can be made with decent build quality, but there is no comparison between high end chairs which might cost a little more, such as a herman miller aeron or something to that effect.

Any recommendations?

poke.gif
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyreSpirit View Post

Any recommendations?
First three that come to mind in no specific order are: herman miller, steelcase, ergo genesis.

The prices are going to vary, but if we are talking about long use and comfort then they are worth every penny. Also, so it doesn't seem like I'm only bashing dxracer and maxnomic, it's just I fell into the trap thinking I could enjoy the chair and use it for long periods of use. While I can enjoy the chair, I can not enjoy it for an 8+ hour work session without having to get up multiple times from my arse being sore biggrin.gif

Edit: You might also be able to score some of these chairs for way cheaper than buying new looking for liquidations. Check craigslist or anything local for business that are closing as well as companies that stock up on these chairs for that reason and sell them for a decent price.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I think if you get a dxracer that fits you it can be worth the money. I have a steelcase leap v1 that at least for me was very uncomfortable after awhile. I went back to my $300 leather Lane office chair that I have had for 12+ years. I recently purchased the Iron series dxracer. I will let you know in a couple weeks how it is.

I'm a little short and fat (here is my handle here is my spout) so I have to a wider chair.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
My wife has a Humanscale Diffrient chair and it's VERY confortable. Mesh seat and mesh back, I highly recommend it

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I have a DX Racer king series chair and absolutely love it. I went with the king series since they are a little wider and sturdier. I have wide shoulders so I was worried about feeling cramped into the "regular" sized models. It was a little weird for a week or two until the backrest pillow broke in but now I can sit for hours without any stiffness. I even found it comfortable enough to accidentally fall asleep in (for 6 hours straight) last weekend while I was kicked back watching a movie lol
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 22)
Go to eBay and picked up a gently used Steelcase chair. The Leap will do. I have the Leap in the office and the Think at home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in