How To: Save Money While Gaming On High End Stuff - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Save Money While Gaming On High End Stuff

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
How To: Save Money While Gaming On High End Stuff

I've been doing this successfully for years and thought a how to guide might help the community out.

Choose Gently Used For (Almost) Everything - Aside from the motherboard, CPU, & storage you should be shopping like new second hand for everything.

The Cheapest Options End Up Costing The Most - In the long run the budget option is going to break and you'll have to replace it. This rule holds true whether it's a keyboard or a chair, or anything else for that matter!

Buy Endgame Quality Accessories - AKA God Tier - For gaming audio buy a flagship pair of headphones from Sennheiser, Grado, Beyerdynamic, or Audio-Technica WITHOUT A BUILT IN MIC and add a clip on mic like the Zalman Zm-Mic1 or an add on unit like the Antlion ModMic.

Buy Only Really Great Chairs - Steelcase and Herman Miller office chairs stand out as comfortable and incredibly long lasting products. Find these dirt cheap second hand when local businesses sell them off. Often time these are sold on craigslist for 1/10 the price of new and were never even sat on!

Stick With A Second Hand Flagship GPU From Last Year - A gently used 1080 Ti can be had for under $500 and performs better than a similarly priced current gen card.

Buy Your Next Case With Flexibility In Mind - As you grow and learn as an enthusiast you are bound to get ideas for your next build. Be sure your next case will accommodate those ideas before you buy! The Define line from Fractal as well as NZXT & Lian Li are all solid choices.

Stick With Air Cooling - Air cooling is consistently lower cost and higher performing than alternatives. Snag a heatsink and case fans from Noctua, Be Quiet!, Scythe, or Thermalright and it just might be the last cooling gear you have to buy.

If Are Unsure Of A Purchase, Wait - Give yourself 30 days before buying anything you have found online. Yes, the price may change but your mind may change too!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by speed_demon; 10-27-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:10 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 342 (Unique: 242)
That is if your location has a strong 2nd hand market, especially when it comes to higher performance desirable items.
Or how many times you got burned prior when buying 2nd hand electronics.

For PC electronic parts it doesn't matter much what price range you buy (low or top end), it's all made in China and expected to last as long as the warranty does though usually it will outlive you if you take decent care of it.
For chairs... well cheap stuff breaks easily, often and early, again often imported and of low structural rigidity. Expensive office chairs... depends what you can find, there are many but not all are designed for you, so it's best to go sit in a few and then decide.

CPU... 2nd hand, only if it's a reputable/trustworthy seller, otherwise there have been way too many scams online for this particular part as it's so easy to fake. Even new from say Amazon may receive a fake, but at least then you can return/exchange.

I guess Amazon open box/used with some warranty can be another option for "2nd hand".

The largest item for most recent PC builds is GPU, their prices have skyrocketed due to market competition being non existent and the makers realizing they can charge what ever they want and use previous price raise due to demand as a step to keep prices high. The whole GPU pricing has moved by 1 tier. Even 2nd hand GPUs can be hard to find at good prices, especially the desirable ones from top end. Sadly they are also known to fail sooner than other PC parts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Good guide, i agree for almost everything.
For Audio (in my opinion) you do not really need stuff from sennhaiser etc.... those are very expensive.
Personally i own a Superlux 681HD EVO (not the one in your photos) which costs about 30-40 (should cost 25-30 max but retailers have got gready because of how good these are, Superlux produces some parts for AudioTechnica

A cheap DAC with Xmos interface i've been using is Douk1796 goes for about 60-70eur and x2 JBL305 LSR as speakers.

Worth to check out the new brand made from JBL engineers (can't recall the name, tried everything really, they posted on reddit audiophile if i recall correctly and they are competing with JBL)

Stick to air cooling yeah but hold off from noctua. They've got too gready with their chromax and they don't really improve anything.

Dark Pro 4 bequiet, phanteks and criorig options perform similiarly and have better aesthetic depending on your liking. Thermalright should hell even perform better lol.
GPU yeah 1080ti or either AMD gpu, these hold longer compared to nvidia counterparts (check 7970ghz for example or 290x those cards just can't die).
I recommend Vega 56 with less budget than a 1080ti, they can be easily tuned to Vega 64 performance.
Chairs... i dont know, i am from europe and dont know where i could get these

Ah for CPUs stick to ryzen, cheaper, have more cores and upgradability. 2700x/3600/3700x + a good b450 board sounds like win for me, upgrade to ryzen 4950x when need more performance. lulz

Tryndamere
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard
Asus C7H Hero Wifi
GPU
Radeon Vega 64
RAM
G-Skill Tridentz OC 16 gb 3800 c14-16-17-16-32-48
Power Supply
EVGA G3 Gold
Cooling
Noctua D15
Case
Phanteks Enthoo pro TG
Operating System
Win 10 1903 build 18950 64bit
Monitor
Viewsonic XG2401
Keyboard
Fnatic RGB Cherry mx brown
Mouse
Logitech G Pro Wireless 950 dpi
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO Fx
Audio
JBL305
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
Synoxia, you immediately assume all products from Sennheiser are expensive and that excludes them from your viewpoint. Whereas I associate that brand with durability & quality. Two different ways of looking at the same thing.

In truth though, I wouldn't recommend anyone spend over $150 for a great pair of headphones. I personally picked up my HD 6XX's new in box for around $150 shipped from a third party seller. And I have seen the HD 599's selling for around $70 second hand which is going to be a significant step up in build quality & sound quality over anything available under $100.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 cost is the same as the Noctua NH-D15S so I say pick whichever one fits your color scheme & available case room. If a person had followed the guide and purchased a Fractal Define R5 then either one will fit with room to spare.

It is always better to buy a cheaper CPU with a great cooler than the other way around. Because you will still have the cooler when you upgrade to your next CPU down the line. This line of thinking keeps more money in your pocket in the long run and enables you to spring for better parts in the future - Or not if you don't want to, it's giving you the power of that choice.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 25)
"Buy Your Next Case With Flexibility In Mind"
Can't stress this one enough. A few years ago I tried telling a friend to opt for a case with more room instead of the one they thought looked the nicest. They're upgrading now and got upset when they found out their case limited their options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in