Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread

View Single Post
post #211 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:30 AM
The Stilt
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 859 (Unique: 327)
Quote: Originally Posted by SwiperNoSwiping View Post
@elmor @The Stilt

Can you guys provide a little bit more in-depth information about how exactly the new Performance Enhancer feature works? Some questions I have after reading the PDF:

- What's the difference between level 3 and level 4? (level 1 and 2 as well, for that matter)

- Balanced power plan, as in DEFAULT win 10 balanced, correct? I assume "Ryzen Balanced" is not a thing anymore?

- I assume voltage is handled automatically in this mode, and gives cores as much voltage as CPU requests?

- To continue previous question - looking at PDF the sample CPU boosted all the way to 4.5 GHz on a single core, I guess that required quite a lot of voltage? Definitely more than 1.4v which are considered "safe" among the community? Will it have any impact on the longevity of CPU, or not really, since for load of this kind current will not really be high enough, while voltage is pretty high?

If there are any specific tips you guys can give to start getting into this new kind of "overclocking" I'd really appreciate them. Thanks for another great board!
- The difference between LVL3 & 4 is the "Precision Boost Override Scalar", which for LVL3 is 1x and 10x for LVL4. Increasing the scalar value will relax the voltage limiting rules of FIT monitoring.
- Yes, Windows Balanced. The key here is to provide sufficiently low "minimum processor state" value to allow the boost to activate (25% of the cores have to reside in C6 for the ST boost to kick in fully). The Ryzen Balanced profile for 1000-series Ryzens won't work as its minimum is 90%.
- The CPU is always in control of the voltage, unless "OC-Mode" is activated (ratio set manually to higher than base ratio) or the voltage is set to "manual mode" (i.e. override from the controller side).
- The voltage curve on Zen CPUs is extremely steep at high frequencies and Pinnacle Ridge is not an exception. Based on "FIT" testing I made, up to ~1.42V (single core workloads) provides 100% silicon reliability, while up to ~1.48V provides slightly reduced reliability (similar to FIT rules set to 10x). These are actual voltages mind you ("CPU Core Voltage SVI2 TFN" in HWInfo).