Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - flow direction and order for new loop

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Blameless
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by tiny_voices View Post
Has the large heatsink on the x58 chipset and then the smaller one on the southbridge but its all connected via heatpipes. So, if i'm cooling the chipset i have to figure something out for the southbridge.
Honestly, the thing doesn't even need a heatsink.

It's rated to operate at up to 109C and only puts out 4.5W of heat at maximum load, with more typical power consumption/dissipation in the 2-3W range. The motherboard PCB itself will provide all the cooling it needs the overwhelming majority of the time and most heatsinks attached to it on most boards are either redundant, or are actually extra cooling for the IOH/MCH, not the SB itself.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/do...guidelines.pdf -- page 10, for reference.

If you want some extra peace of mind, the adhesive heatsinks you mention should be plenty.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson