Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Site Speed Assessment: Your thoughts

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM
tpi2007
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
So, just to recap and make it clear, the avatar image sizes up until now had no file size limit except for the general picture upload limit which is 9.54 MB, right? And now you enforced a limit of 250 KB, correct?

What about avatar picture sizes? As of right now 140x140 still hasn't been enforced, even visually, which makes for an inconsistent post and thread layout. The system could convert the bigger dimension to 140 pixels, keeping the aspect ratio, thus making all pictures use no more than the 140x140 allotted square. Why isn't this done?

Also, why doesn't the system convert all avatar pictures to .jpg and downscales them in picture and file size to the limits you mentioned, while keeping the aspect ratio, all the while leaving the originally uploaded picture in the member's picture gallery? That would work out well for everybody, the site would become faster and members wouldn't be losing their original files.

You say "We will see how we fair with that one for a while, we can revisit this again in the future.", but if nothing of the above gets done it will be a very long time until anything good happens, as you'll just have to wait until each individual member decides to change his / her avatar picture, including the animated GIFs.

Speaking of which, disabling GIFs is a debatable idea, I doubt it will go well with some people. At the end of the day it's all about taste, some are good, others are hideous and distracting and as far as I know those were already asked to be removed anyway (especially the ones that can cause seizures), just as unprofessional static images are removed. The main problem is file size, and in the examples I found, the worst offender, and by a lot, was a static image. A 140x140 animated GIF can perfectly stay under 250 KB.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by tpi2007; 08-13-2018 at 12:03 PM.