Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Site Speed Assessment: Your thoughts

View Single Post
post #29 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
ENTERPRISE
In VB's Basement

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Thinking about this again, there is no reason to have the same file size limit for both avatar and profile picture, even more so considering that they have different image size limits (see quote below). 250 kB limit for the avatar max file size is too high, given that it's limited to 140x140. No .jpg file will use that much space.

I was wondering how my avatar (listed in one of the previous posts) used 175 kB, but it's explained by the fact that it's a PNG and it's 306x306. I must have saved it like that when editing the original one, which is not a square picture. The original one, which is a .jpg, uses a mere 27 kB. As I mentioned before, this also means that the system doesn't convert avatar uploads to a single file type.

I've just done some experiments downsizing large, multi megabyte pictures to .jpg at 140x140 and they top out at less than 35 kB, so there is no reason for the limit to be 250 kB, you can easily set the limit at 50 kB and that will save a lot of bytes per page. People can potentially save up to 2 MB per page at the default of 10 posts per page, up to a whopping 20 MB at 100 posts per page.

In case you want to allow .PNGs too so as to not have to convert them on your side, you can still set the limit at a lower 75 kB, that should cover all of them.
Glad you bought that up, after sleeping on it I realised there was no need for such a large file size limit for a 140x140 image. I will make adjustments to this sizing later today, on the cautious side I will likely set it between 75 -100 KB and go from there. *EDIT*, Will set it to 75Kb

As for the Post Icons, these are now disabled site wide, no need for them and something we can leave in the early 2000's.

Image quality has been altered as these were at 95% when being compressed, this has been dropped to 75%, a decent balance between quality and file size.

Last edited by ENTERPRISE; 08-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.