Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

View Single Post
post #362 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Barefooter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 108 (Unique: 91)
Testing the Seagate 12TB Iron Wolf Pro Hard Drives

I know it’s hard to get excited about hard drives these days (pun intended ), but I am pretty psyched up about these hard drives!

When I started this build I was planning on using Western Digital Red 8TB hard drives, which was the largest available at the time. I almost bought some hard drives while I was waiting for the motherboard to become available. I’m glad I waited since I’ll now have 50% more mass storage space with these Seagate 12TB Iron Wolf Pro hard drives!

Originally I planned to use Western Digital Red hard drives not just because they are meant for RAID arrays, but also because the color scheme matched the build. But the Western Digital Red drives max out at 10TB at the moment, and the label side of the hard drives aren’t going to show now that I’m using water blocks, so I might as well use the larger drives from Seagate.

I’ve heard that Seagate is coming out with 14TB drives soon, but I’m ready now, and this is going to be basically unlimited storage for me anyways. I ordered the drives from B&H Photo Video, here is the boxes they came in.

Wrapped in anti-static bags and packed well.

Here’s a first look at these monster drives.

Here is the back side of the drive.

I have never tested hard drives before installing them. I have always just put them in, and they have always worked fine. I did have an external 2TB Seagate drive fail on me once, but really I have always found that for the most part, hard drives just work.

I wanted to test these hard drives because they are getting waterblocks now, and it will require a drain and fill to swap a hard drive out! I hooked them up to my daily driver rig for now just for testing purposes.

Seagate has a nice software tool called “SeaTools for Windows”. It will perform a variety of tests on the hard drives. Well these two drives failed almost every test in the SeaTools software! This really surprised me as I was expecting them to both pass with flying colors!

I copied some content onto the drives and they seemed to work fine, but still failed most of the tests, so I RMA’d the drives with B&H for exchange. They swapped them out no questions asked, but it did take nearly three weeks which I thought was longer that it should take, but no big deal.

For the second set of drives, they sent me two separate packages with one drive in each box. They both came at the same time shipped from the same location, not sure why

These two drives initially failed the SMART test out of the box, but passed all the other tests perfectly. Most of the tests are fairly quick except for the “Long Generic” test, that one actually takes more than 24 hours to complete!

I copied a bunch of files to the new drives, and retested them, now the SMART test passes along with all the other SeaTools tests, so I think I’m good to go with these hard drives.

I ran a CrystalDiskMark test on the new Seagate 12TB drives. This is pretty impressive for hard drives

Here is a comparison CrystalDiskMark test from the Western Digital 4TB drive that is in that rig.

The upper drive is the new Seagate 12TB drive, the lower one is a 4TB Western Digital drive.
See a problem here?

This picture is with the waterblock on the 4TB drive. Notice the difference in the mounting screw locations? This waterblock needs two more holes to be secured properly to these hard drives.

After doing some research I found that the hard drives larger than 8TB need more room for all the platters, and there is no room for the screw hole in the center, or the center hole on the sides of the drives.

The problem is that these waterblocks do not have a hole in that location, and two screws certainly are not enough to properly secure the waterblocks to the hard drives!

I will need to get some precise holes drilled into the waterblocks so that I can secure them properly to these 12TB hard drives. The only problem is that all I have at home is a vise and a hand drill

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1882.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	6.25 MB
ID:	213148  

Name:	DSC_1886.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	5.95 MB
ID:	213150