Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [ZDNet] Dutch government report says Microsoft Office telemetry collection breaks GDPR

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
tpi2007
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post
Personally, it sounds like a media beat up.

I'm all for privacy and don't use Chrome, Edge or other such browsers for that reason and i'm also highly critical of Windows 10 and its advertising ID and marketing tactics.

But in this case, it sounds to me it's not so much Microsoft 'spying on your emails' as simply the spell checker that's used in Outlook and Word (Thus emails and documents as mentioned in the article). This isn't a case of Microsoft having Office send the subject heads of your emails or names of your documents back to their servers to invade your privacy, but rather it's tied into spell check / auto correct and they want the data to further refine and improve the service and its behaviour for customers and tailor it to specific regions.

What next, Microsoft just remove all forms of spell check in Europe?

If this concerns people how exactly do they feel about gmail.

I completely disagree. Word processor applications have done spell-checking for more than two decades now, so if any company hasn't gotten it down to an excellent level by now, by having the best dictionaries, hiring linguists and having focus groups over the years, then it's incompetence on their part wanting telemetry at this point in time, in 2018, to get it right. This is a mediocre excuse to siphon data from people's computers for whatever purposes they have.

As xJumper said above, this should be done 100% locally. The risks of private data being uploaded, even if it's a single word here and a single word there, are enormous and completely unacceptable. They are your documents, it should be a principle set in stone by now, it's none of their business, regardless of what is in a given document.

If it was a "media beat up", Microsoft wouldn't have responded with changes as quickly as they did to the investigation.

Last edited by tpi2007; 11-20-2018 at 04:00 AM.