Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 980ti memory or vrm overheating

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Sugita2Junko
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
980ti memory or vrm overheating

EVGA 980ti rebooting from overheated VRM or Memory. Fixable?

I use a Raijintek morpheus cooler on my EVGA 980ti (06G-P4-4995-KR) for the past 3 years. GPU core temp was always 50-55c while gaming, pretty cool, but recently it started hard rebooting suddenly. Discovered after troubleshooting for a long time the VRM or memory is overheating.

The 980ti doesn't have VRM temperature monitor so I placed a thermal probe on top of the GPU plate, right above one of the VRM or memory chips. Idles around 25-30c, but around 50c it would reboot, usually takes 2-3hrs of gaming, pretty sure the chip underneath is actually hotter than that. Read VRM often are rated at 100-120c. Not sure about memory.

If I limit GPU power to 60% using msi afterburner the probe temp will be around 42c, it won't reboot, could play all day. However, my 980ti performance has been reduced to that of a 970 or worse.

Has my GPU degraded beyond hope or repair? What are my options? Will replacing the thermal pad in between the plates help?