Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [ZDNet] Dutch government report says Microsoft Office telemetry collection breaks GDPR

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 PM
trendy
Programmer

Rep: 150 (Unique: 121)
Quote: Originally Posted by matthew87 View Post
Personally, it sounds like a media beat up.

I'm all for privacy and don't use Chrome, Edge or other such browsers for that reason and i'm also highly critical of Windows 10 and its advertising ID and marketing tactics.

But in this case, it sounds to me it's not so much Microsoft 'spying on your emails' as simply the spell checker that's used in Outlook and Word (Thus emails and documents as mentioned in the article). This isn't a case of Microsoft having Office send the subject heads of your emails or names of your documents back to their servers to invade your privacy, but rather it's tied into spell check / auto correct and they want the data to further refine and improve the service and its behaviour for customers and tailor it to specific regions.

What next, Microsoft just remove all forms of spell check in Europe?

If this concerns people how exactly do they feel about gmail.
I agree with this. The article sounds really bad until you read "when spell check/auto correct features were used". That just sounds like someone doesn't know how those features work.