Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Asmodian
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 179 (Unique: 119)
Quote: Originally Posted by TobbbeSWE View Post
How did this mod affect your max clock and Avg clocks overall?

Did you notice any negative things after the mod? Like abnormal amounts of power being pulled at the same clocks as before?
For that i guess you need something to measure before and after mod outside of the card because the "power" indicator in Precision X and GPUz will show the wrong value now i guess.
Or does it still work?
This mod did change my average clocks, now they stay very stable at whatever overclock max is set. In practice I see 2070 MHz dropping to 2055 MHz when temps get near the max. 42°C is my normal max temp in madVR, which uses the most power of anything I have tested, it can even hit my power limit of 520W.

The power numbers in GPUz are 61.5% of the real draw, so when I see it using 264W it means it is actually using 429W.

The main negative, which is very significant, is that the performance increase is very small but the increase in power use is massive. Probably +50% the power use for <10% performance with some workloads. It absolutely requires high end water cooling to even be considered. It is impressive how much power Nvidia can save without hurting performance very much. To be honest I normally leave the power limit on 100% now, 422W max is already a bit high. Letting it use 520W gains very little if anything, as far as I can measure. I have seen it hit the power limit even when set to 520W too, with madVR using crazy settings playing 1080p60 at 4K. It also triggered the thermal throttling flag when seeking even though the GPU was at 39°C, that indicates to me that some small part of the GPU got way too hot for comfort and it is probably better to say at or below ~400W unless on LN2 or something.

With the same workload and clocks power use is identical, GPUz reports 1/1.625 (61.5%) the power draw, but running the same workload at 1870 MHz v.s. 2070 MHz increases power/heat by way more than 10%.