Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q (QR) - Removal of Matte Coating

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
zhrooms
Enthusiast

Rep: 12 (Unique: 9)
Removed the Back Cover & Bezel Frame!

Way easier than I thought it would be, first the bezel is attached to the screen itself, then there's the cover (back of the monitor), simply pried up the back cover with a knife, unlatching it over several points around it, then the bezel, done. Pics will be shown at re-assembly.

Close-up below, it's thicker than I thought it would be, but I've also read a lot of people complaining about the TN panels having way thicker AG coating than the AHVA variants (278-279), but this thick..

Quote: Originally Posted by cre3d
Make sure you don't peel up the polarizer! You'll be able to tell the difference if you look at it for a moment as there are two different layers; The dark bottom-most layer is the polarizer which you want to leave intact.

Does anyone know how thick the polarizer is? And where is it located? (Layer-wise)

I'm assuming the next step is just to wet the entire screen, let it sit for maybe 5 hours, then try to peel the entire blue layer off?

Edit: After removing the matte coating, I've learned the coating is actually only about 1/5 of the blue layer in the image above, it's very thin! The polarizer film is just under it, it's also thin, having a very sharp knife helped to lift up just the coating layer (not the polarizer).

Quote: Originally Posted by cre3d
You want to cover the entire screen surface with a couple layers of these wet paper towels. Leave them on for 4-5 hours, making sure they are always wet throughout. If they begin to dry, just take a single soaked paper towel and lay it on top of the existing layers, allowing the water to diffuse down.

After 4-5 hours, pull up a corner of the wet paper towels and using your nail or a blade, very carefully peel up on the AG coating. Make sure you don't peel up the polarizer! You'll be able to tell the difference if you look at it for a moment as there are two different layers; The dark bottom-most layer is the polarizer which you want to leave intact. The AG coating should come up very easily at this point, like a very very weak sticker. If you notice any residue being left behind or it's overly difficult to pull up, you need to let it sit under the wet paper towels a little longer. After 5 hours mine came up completely effortlessly.

Build Log: Vector Qlimax

X APEX, 9900K @ 5200MHz, Trident Z 16GB @ 4400MHz CL18, RTX 2080 Ti, 970 M.2 SSD, RM1000x, EK A240 Water Cooling

Last edited by zhrooms; 12-08-2018 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added Important Information