Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - The pfsense Club

View Single Post
post #539 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 AM
huzzug
What should be here ?

Rep: 358 (Unique: 256)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
both your client and server configs list the IP of the server. You cannot just export a config and be done, you have to manually do your configuration file and specify dynamic DNS server that hosts your stuff. You will also have to wait for that dns server to be updated with your new IP every time you move before anything will work. Even then, Im not positive you can even do such a thing. I dont know if the VPN connections will let you look up a DNS because of a possible security issue that has with it.

You are trying to set up a VPN in the opposite way it was intended. The server is supposed to be stationary/on a network itself like in an office building, and then the clients move around the world and connect in over a secure tunnel.
Quote: Originally Posted by Simmons572 View Post
He can correct me if I am wrong, but i think he is trying to setup the VPN as a termination point that exits inside the network, without replacing his firewall. It's not a standard usecase, but should absolutely be doable
What I'm trying to do is to be able to view the files I have stored on my parents system which is miles away. I did a similar setup for a friend of mine with Hamachi, but that doesn't work on mine. Besides, I got myself involved with PfSense and wanted to experiment with it rather than Hamachi.

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger