Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [G3D] Razer SoftMiner uses your GPU to mine cryptocurrency

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 AM
Ricwin
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 31 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by Avalar View Post
It's the fact that they'd rather do stuff like that than fix the problems their products have. Mainly with their gaming mice, which have terrible QC. I once returned 3 DeathAdder Chromas to them, all dead-on-arrival or defective within days to weeks. Their customer service is questionable, and I've seen several cases of people's bad experiences with them, as did I; they tried to tell me it was somehow my fault. T_T That, and their software was always a RAM hog, and how some of their mice have no on-board memory, so they need the software open to have use of some or all of the features of the mouse. For the price, there's companies that make better mice, keyboards, laptops, etc.

Edit: That, and the fact that using their miner for hours a day on a regular basis would net you less "money" to buy their products than it costs you in electricity to run their software. Someone posted on their twitter that at the rates they're talking, it would take over a year to get enough for a keyboard, that is, if their currency didn't reset to 0 yearly. If they care about the consumer at all, they'd at least make it so you could earn a decent amount over time, but this is obviously just a ploy to get more and more money from unsuspecting customers.

I had a Naga a couple of years ago which died in about five months. Sensor on it completely gave up, so that went back to the retailer who 'upgraded' my purchase to a Mamba TE Chroma. This also died after a few months. It would completely stop responding until all buttons were pressed to force the device to reset. Again, back to the retailer. They confirmed that more than half of the Mamba's they had sold were being returned due to faults within six months of purchase.
They swapped it for a SteelSeries Rival 700 which has been absolutely faultless since (about fourteen months now).

The other issues here is that Razer have opted to add a crypto miner to their software. It may be optional, but is that a default install or do you have to actively go out of your way to include it? Most users just click Next>next>Next instead of customising their software before install.
And now that Razer have added a miner, how long before it or a basic version of it is installed without the users knowledge?

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition