Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Recode] U.S. internet speeds rose nearly 40 percent this year
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 PM
xJumper
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 105)
Quote: Originally Posted by VicsPC View Post
I beg to differ, i moved to France from the US where i had coax 100/10 and it was very unreliable, i now have 1000/350 for a third or so of what i paid in the US and this includes a mobile 4g plan with 30gb of data. Steam is usually the slowest but i can get 110MB/s on uplay and origin without issues, games download pretty much in under an hr where before it would take me 8+. Sure for regular people it's not worth upgrading if they charge an arm and a leg, here it's the same price, free installation and 50€ activation fee.
What I meant though is how much better is that internet really? Is it really worth it? Does it really make that much of a difference in terms of usability? Is there something you can do that I can't (something that matters anyway some theoretical anecdote 1%'er situation doesn't really matter) and I am complete debilitated if I tried to do the same thing. Really how often to you download a game and need to play it right there and then and can't wait or schedule the download overnight. Considering it would cost like $200 a month here for a plan like that is it really worth it?

Quote: Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
If you haven't actually experienced faster speeds it's hard to understand. I have 450 down / 25 up (that ratio is ridiculous) and couldn't imagine going back to 200, let alone 100mbps or under.
I think I have a pretty advanced/unique setup running servers and all and like I said don't really see how much better it could be, wouldn't be worth a 200% cost increase that's for sure. What does one need to do to be amazed like that with faster internet.

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
You pretty much agreed with them.
What VPN do you use that supports those speeds?
Don't get that first part. As for the VPN's, in order of speed. IP Vanish, Vypr & Mullvad. IP Vanish was the fastest but they got busted for logging so I wont be renewing with them. Vypr gets pretty close to my max depending on the server, really 25/10 is really 23/9 and Vypr gets me around that.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xJumper; 12-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.