Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - System freeze when not under load 20 seconds after wake from sleep

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
jfriend00
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by wingman99 View Post
Post back what there response is.
Related issues with optical drives on ASMedia SATA ports:

ASRock Z170 Extreme7 Freezing

Linux Distros won't boot when DVD drive plugged into ASMedia SATA port on ASrock Z97 Extreme6

Ubuntu won't boot with DVD drive in ASMedia SATA port - works in Intel port

Hard Freezes with ASMedia SATA and Optical Drive / Redhat

While my main "sleep" problem is when running Windows, I've seen the same problem described in these other posts when trying to boot LinuxMint (I had to unplug the DVD drive from the ASMedia Port to get LinuxMint to boot). There is definitely some incompatibility between an optical drive and ASMedia SATA ports (at least on some ASRock motherboards).

When I google around, I see lots of references to ASMedia SATA ports not liking ATAPI devices (which optical drives are). But, I usually can't nail what I read down to a specific ASMedia chipset or driver. But there's definitely history out there of issues between optical drives and ASMedia SATA ports.

For now, the work-around seems to be to not use an optical drive in an ASMedia SATA port. It will be interesting to see what ASRock support says about this.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case