Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Jarhead
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
You'd need a reasonable understanding of just how computationally intensive it is to path trace everything. Expecting to be able to do this at 4K shows a lack of this. (Note how you're directly comparing a realtime path renderer as being ray tracing).

Right now, we have the groundwork and technology for hybrid rendering, far more than we did even a short time ago. Not really relevant, but I don't think the vblogger is even old enough to remember the original game, too lol.
You misunderstand. I have no expectation that they could do this at even 1080p with a newer title. The number of GPU's I mentioned as four wasn't chosen at random, it was chosen because ray tracing benefits from parallel processing. At least that's what Intel discovered with Larrabee ten years ago. Back then I thought that AMD would solve that problem with Fusion and that by now we would be seeing four socket motherboards with cpu/gpu chips instead of a discrete graphics card and that those systems would be crushing it. It would be like a revisit to the launch of the Voodoo when we went from 2D to 3D. Well, quick glance around and honestly we haven't actually progressed noticeably. The resolution has increased from 1080p to 4K, but otherwise nothing revolutionary. And sad to say, I can't point to a single game that's upcoming that looks like a must-have.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.