Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Phoronix]Quake 2 now has real-time path tracing with Vulkan

View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 PM
MonarchX
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 129 (Unique: 90)
So what exactly does Q2 demo prove? We all knew that ray/path was possible... It existed for a while in cinema motion pictures... Does this demo somehow prove that RTX cards can render games with modern polygon count, shader, texture resolution, streaming technology, while fully utilizing true path/ray tracing and provide at least 30fps at 1080p? No way in hell... The only thing that this proves is that ray tracing is becoming a goal. It's now something that developers and engineers are trying to push further, perhaps at faster\higher rate than before, but that's about it... It's a good thing, especially if AMD succeeds at competing with NVidia with their own ray tracing technology.

What are the main differences between RTX partial ray tracing vs. full ray tracing vs. path tracing? Is NVidia's AI technology something that can help ray tracing become a viable option for in-game lighting more so than whatever else was necessary to make it a reality (raw GPU power) ?

The Machine
(17 items)
CPU
Core i7 8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Z370 ROG Maximus Hero X WiFi
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Classified Kingpin
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black