Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 PM
jfriend00
Memory Overclocker

Rep: 23 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Defoler View Post
How can you say I should open ads on sites, and on the same breath accent the fact that ads mis-behave?

Until sites stop using ads sites that include sounds, flashy ads, pop ups, covering scripts that send you to shady sites, malware, etc, I will block ads everywhere.
I can't just guess which site is fine or not, and which site is basically using 80% ads, 15% malware, 5% content.

Sites and ad vendors screwed themselves up with what they did.
It would be more effective and more ethical for you to avoid using sites that have ads that annoy. What you're doing is analogous to pirating cable TV because you think their rates are too high. In both cases, you're refusing to pay for a service, yet consume it anyway because you don't like how they get paid.

So, you have no qualms at all about using this site while denying them any source of revenue to pay for running the site? Do you realize that if everyone did that, this site would either disappear or only be available only to those willing pay a subscription fee (more likely, it just wouldn't exist)? In fact, the revenue model for probably 90% of the web would be busted entirely.

[email protected] (-1 AVX offset) on ASRock Z390 Taichi with Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
CPU offset voltage of -25mv, runs VRVout 1.240-1.313V on full AVX load, 1.225-1.275V on non-AVX load
2x8GB [email protected] at 1.45V, G.Skill F4-3733C17Q-32GTZKK (XMP rated [email protected])
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB OC with Corsair RMx 750W power supply
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe boot SSD and four other drives all in a Fractal Design R6 Case