Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod

View Single Post
post #37 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:00 AM
MrFox
Overclocked / Overvolted

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
That is for the power from the PCIe slot and I didn't want it pulling more from the motherboard. The power balancing circuity only considers the two 8 pin power connections and the card is designed to get most of its power from them anyway. Missing a resistor definitely didn't cause safety mode, the easiest way to fix that was to desolder the resistor I added to the back of the card, with only one it never went into safety mode. Adding more shunts is more likely to cause it to go into emergency mode (except I think it only monitors the two 8 pins?). I never see the power limit flag trigger when running any benchmark or game, only voltage or load limits. My GPU simply doesn't clock very well, even with light loads. Heaven 1080p will crash sometimes at 2130 MHz at any voltage. The lottery is what it is.

I usually run a very stable 2070MHz at 1.025V and I usually see loads that don't go much above 90% of the new power limit (422W). I leave it on 123% anyway.

With a better GPU a higher power limit would probably be more important, the watts used goes up quite a bit at 2200MHz compared to 2100.
Thank you for the response. It is unfortunate that the silicon lottery can sometimes be so brutal.

I've got the parts on order from Digi-Key and they were supposed to be delivered today. Hopefully, they will be tomorrow. Voltage deficiency is definitely the Achilles heel, just as it was for my 1080 Ti. With some modding I was able to run it at 2240 @ 1.200V and I am hoping to accomplish something similar. I think I am going to go ahead and add the third shunt on mine to include the PCIe power override and see how that goes. I had all three shunts on the 1080 Ti and it worked truly excellent.

I have tested a ton of vBIOS, including some modded firmware flashed using my SPI programmer, and overall I am getting the best overclocked results from the Aorus Extreme firmware. The funny thing is MSI Lightning and Galax HOF firmware does nothing for me in spite of their higher power limits, and my XC2 Ultra runs better with its stock firmware or FTW3 than it does with either of those. Using the Aorus Extreme firmware, it is still limited to a wimpy 1.093V, but it's a lot easier to get it locked down to 1.093V and 2220 on core without any hardware mods.

Below are some example results from my benching spree this evening with the Aorus Extreme vBIOS. I'm excited to see how far it will go with the shunt mod. If that doesn't help enough, I may have to do the trim pot mod to get the GPU some extra voltage to work with. The default limit is just way too low.

Spoiler!

Punisher // EVGA X299 Dark | 7960X @ 5.2GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC2 Ultra Hyrdo Copper | Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 4200 CL16 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Dual XSPC 360 Radiators | Dual XSPC Photon 270 | Praxis WetBench

Last edited by MrFox; 01-26-2019 at 12:39 AM.