Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 01:36 AM
MrFox
Overclocked / Overvolted

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I finally got a chance to test some other shunts on my FE 2080 Ti.
Thanks again for creating this thread and posting your mod. It was very helpful.

OK, my shunt mod is also complete now, and it has worked with a major caveat: voltage is still the same... TOO LOW. It is not drawing any more watts because it was already getting all of the watts it needed access to based upon the stupid low voltage limit. So, I cannot get a higher overclock with the same voltage. It was a success in that it is functioning correctly by grossly under-reporting power draw and there are no more voltage and power limit reasons showing in HWiNFO64 and GPU-Z. There is a little less fluctuation in the power utilization so it might return slightly higher benchmark scores, but it won't be earth-shattering improvement. Testing that theory is pending. So, I am going to have to do something to get the voltage higher to take this GPU where I want it to go. So far, I have not found any vBIOS to allow more than 1.093V max (all are identical), so we either need a hardware mod or a special vBIOS like the Strix XOC 1080 Ti vBIOS that allows adjustment up to 1.200V. It doesn't need to be signed firmware as long as it works. I'll use a "sledge-hammer" approach to flashing if I need to. (Already have been tinkering with that, but no vBIOS with voltage unlocked yet.

Here is a side-by-side video showing power draw before and after the mod with the same vBIOS, CPU BIOS settings and same GPU overclock profile. HWiNFO/OSD was reporting about 380W maximum and 120% of TDP during 3DMark 11 Test #1 and now it reports around 250W and 65% of TDP.

Here are some before and after photos... As you can see, the first 0.005 ohm resistors I tried also didn't work for my GPU, so I had to decrease the resistance using 0.008 ohm resistors.
Spoiler!

Punisher // EVGA X299 Dark | 7960X @ 5.2GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hydro Copper | Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 4200 CL16 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | Hailea HC-500A (1/2HP~790W) Water Chiller | Dual XSPC 360 Radiators | Dual XSPC Photon 270 | Praxis WetBench

Last edited by MrFox; 01-27-2019 at 02:37 AM.