Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Noctua DH15 and DH15S

View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 AM
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1661 (Unique: 924)
Quote: Originally Posted by postem View Post
Done retesting while taking measures on same dead point when i measured before with h110. Measure point is a good dead spot, cant sense or perceive any airflow, against case wall, near top. Everywhere else there is airflow.
Room temp 29.7c. And its around midnight. Real hell.

Case temp when cpu temps stabilized, around 78c: 35.5c, so a delta of around 5.8c.
Case temp after cooling, idle: 32.5c.

So over this particular low airfllow spot, worse scenario was 5.8c delta over load. This gave me -2C over the last setup, when i was with psu intaking from inside, and 2 top exaust fans over the radiator.
It seen the solo air pressure generated by intake fans can work better than having a lot of fans generating pressure and exausting all around. Positive pressure seen to be the best way around, and directed by a fan aligned with gpu and a fan aligned with cpu.

I think i can still get better results, but its clear to me that this setup wins all around comparing with radiator / exausts.

One thing that i perceived about this particular spot, it took around 4 minutes to go back to 32.5c resting temperature, it probably is a dead spot, and fans rpm are adjusted by cpu temps.
It would be interesting if after a sustained load, i could keep fans spinning fast for 1-2 minutes to clean out, reducing faster the heat buildup, however, on ASUS bios i didnt find any way to do it.
5.8c isn't terrible, although your graph looks like temps keep slowly rising for quite a time before equalizing .. like 2/3rds of the way under load before stable maximum temp is reached.

I do agree with 'less is better'. Good cooling is having optimized airflow and that does not mean more fans. More often than not 2-4 well placed fans will give the best airflow and thus the lowest temps and noise. And yeah, a good air cooled setup is easily as good as liquid cooling .. unless it's a custom loop costing many times as much.

Where is this airflow dead spot?

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base