Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Noctua DH15 and DH15S

View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:00 AM
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1661 (Unique: 924)
Quote: Originally Posted by Abula View Post
All tests were done with in a 4 hour window in a test bench, ambient temp was 17C (i checked a couple of times during the 4 hours and remain there).

I would say it did really good, as a matter of fact berely any gains of adding more than TY143. The problem is the noise, @2500rpm dominates any noise in the room, i prefer taking the 2C with dual NF-A15.

Im going to re do some testing, as i just got a AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate, probably not all, but i can retest the dual NF-A15 vs the single TY143 if you wish (or any other combo you might be interested). Im mostly trying to see if i can get away with Prolimatch Genesis with 2x TY143, to keep the Gskill TridentZ 3200CL14, or move toward the NH-D15S with Corsair LPX 3200CL16, but last time i did the testing went above 90C, but will see, maybe over the weekend i do the testing.
Ambient temp really means little to nothing. The temp of air actually going into cooler is the key. Temp inside of case, even with side cover off and fans running is not the same as room ambient.

The testing of TRUE Spirit 140 Power and D14 I referenced was in open case similar to your test station and air temp into cooler changed dependent on cooler fan speed. I'm assuming you 'in a test bench 'was in a case with side panel off because you said' I ran everything with the side panel open and the case fans off'.
Below is what I used to monitor air temp while testing in the past when I didn't have motherboard with temp sensor probe to put in airflow in front of cooler / cooler fan. Still use a it when setting up case airflow to monitor air temp into coolers and other places inside of case.

Quote:
How to monitor air temperature different places inside of case:
  • A cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with a piece of insulated wire and a plastic clothspin works great.
  • Made up with floral wire and tape. We don't want anything to short out with metal.
  • Clip and position sensor where I want to check the temp. Make it easy to see what the air temp going into components actually is relative to room temp.
  • Optimum cooling is when air temps going into coolers only being 2-3c warmer than room.. 5c or less is good.
I place the senor about 1" in front of center of CPU cooler fan. If used to monitor air temp into GPU I check in front of each fan but the warmest is usually the one nearest back of case.

There are also aquarium, terrarium, fridge, etc. remote sensor thermometers available at low price that can be setup to monitor airflow temps.

If you ever test a downflow cooler like stock CPU coolers you will find the air temp going into cooler when CPU us at full load is 8-12c warmer than other places in case, even found this to be true with an open bench test station.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base