Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - How to correctly overclock Ryzen 5 2600 [Multiplier vs Boost]

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Undervolter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 516 (Unique: 254)
Quote: Originally Posted by rul3s View Post
Hi mates,
I've been searching a lot about correct way of overclocking Ryzen 2XXX series but still some thing I'm not getting. I've made some tests and found that for my R5 2600 (non X) I need 1.35v for 4.0GHz and 1.42 for 4.1GHz. So, on "traditional" overclocking that would be OK. Another thing is that on my motherboard (MSI x470 Carbon) there's a bug which disables AMD cool and quiet when overclocking, and thats not good.

On those new Ryzen 2XXX they included some new tecnologies, XFR2, PB2 and PBO.
XFR2 and PB2 are normal boost modes, going from 3.4 to 3.9GHz maximum, following the CPU stock values (on 2600), so manually overclocking to 4.0GHz is way better than normal boost, that only achieves 3.9GHz on 1-2 cores and 3.7GHz on all cores.

From what I've read, PBO is able to push ABOVE those normal boost levels, but as far as I've tried, is doing nothing. I've enabled PBO on UEFI and still seing maximum of 3.9GHz on single core and 3.7GHz on all cores.... Also I've read on some places that PBO is only for the X versions, and on anothers that it's for al 2XXX Ryzen's.

So now the concrete questions:

Can PBO push above normal boost clocks? For example, on a Ryzen 2600 (3.4-3.9GHz) go up to 4-4.1GHz?
Is PBO only for X versions? (2600x 2700x)
Is PBO overclocking better than traditional overclocking?
Is only a MSI bug or all boards disables downclock and downvolt (Cool and quiet) when changing multiplier?

Thanks guys!
Hello, first i must warn you, that my Ryzen 2600 arrives next week, so what i will tell you are just the fruit of googling in the past 2 days, before buying.

1-2) PBO can push above normal boost, but you need 2600X (or other "x" CPU):

Precision Boost Overdrive essentially combines the Precision Boost 2.0 and Extended Frequency Range 2.0 to deliver elevated performance as and when needed. You will need a Ryzen 'X' processor and a 400-series motherboard to leverage it. While the AMD B350 chipsets do auto-overclock 'X' CPUs to an extent, the B450 chipset's AMD PBO ability allows for much better performance gains when using a Ryzen 'X' processor.

https://www.msi.com/blog/amd-ryzen-b...set-difference

3) I am not sure, but i have read many people saying that if you get an "X" version, it's better to just let it do its thing, between PBO and XFR. Hardcore overclockers might think otherwise.

4) From what i read, as soon as you change multi and voltage, all boards get with stuck frequency. Workarounds i 've seen: Overclocking through P-States (ASUS Zenstates users claim success) or overclocking through offset and using "weird" multi in Gigabyte boards.For example, instead of 3.8, make it so it does 3.75 with offset. Then it keeps the power savings with the lower power states. I have no idea if this works on MSI too.

Hopefully some more experienced user will give you better answers.

Last edited by Undervolter; 02-05-2019 at 12:40 PM.