Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [CNET] Google may break ad blockers with upcoming Chrome change

View Single Post
post #140 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:31 PM
splangie
Itchen

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
The github page doesn't tell a whole lot.

I have no experience with linux either... Is it possible to run on an old windows machine?

Here are the prereqs - https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prereq...rating-systems

You can run it on almost anything but the os has to be -
  • Raspbian: Jessie / Stretch
  • Ubuntu: 16.04 / 16.10
  • Fedora: 27 / 28
  • Debian: 8 / 9
  • CentOS: 7 (not ARM)
You could try getting virtualbox going and then a virtual instance running one of those, give it a static ip and then set a pc to use that IP as the primary DNS server address. You can then start watching it happen. After testing you can set all your wifi and hardwired IPV4 and 6 for your stuff to that or you can setup DHCP at router so you don't have to make any changes to workstations/gamestations/phones/tvs etc... I have also setup a secondary RPi 1 dns server. That way I can unplug or disconnect either one and there is no interrupt. The advantage to setting DNS server address at PC is that if Pi Hole fails (haven't seen it happen yet) you would just need to reset to Obtain DNS address automagically. Otherwise you will have to make change at router, but that change would cover everything on network and you wouldn't have to change each back if there is a problem. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The secondary DNS Pi Hole pretty much eliminates that though. The new RPi 3 B+ is 29.00 at Microcenter.

Last edited by splangie; 02-06-2019 at 02:08 PM.