Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Asus Maximus XI Extreme (Z390) problem with 4600Mhz memory search to take best because 4600 is impossible

View Single Post
post #61 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 AM
Dillmiester
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
If not well versed in memory overclocking, it's always wise to purchase a kit a notch or two below the maximum validated frequency. Moreover, not all CPU will be able to achieve 4600MHz. At this point, you're going to be better off settling for a more realistic frequency. Not only that, but the timings required for unconditional stability at these speeds offset the performance advantage. It's better to tune timings between 3600-4000K. Also, the Extreme is only validated to 4400Mhz, I honestly don't think you'll be able to achieve what you're looking for without a two DIMM board.

When in the OPs situation enabling Maximus Tweak Mode 2 can help with certain modules/kits. When on the fringe of stability, it can help to set TRP one clock higher than tRCD, too.
When working with an Asus XI Hero when loading the RAW Mhz profile it gave timings that were in the high 20's like 28 CAS and so on when I enabled Maximus Tweak it set primary timings around 18. In general I dont see how having the board set tighter timings would be advantageous to the OP situation when he already posted at 4500 with the RAW Mhz profile, clearly that wasn't happening with Maximus Tweak enabled. Is there anything dynamic about it cause it seems to be just another memory profile that will overwrite what the RAW Mhz profile set.

Here's a quote from you on the ROG forum.

"The Tweak Modes are predefined presets for memory sub-settings and timings. Tweak Mode 1 is better for some module compatibility, Mode 2 is better for overclocking. Either can give better results depending on the memory configuration."

If you could give more clarification on what its effecting maybe in the sub timings or otherwise it be appreciated.