Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Techpowerup] NVIDIA DLSS and its Surprising Resolution Limitations

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
ILoveHighDPI
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 84)
Quote: Originally Posted by The Robot View Post
Nvidia is pushing console peasantry into PC space. Upscaling is blasphemy.
I would generally agree with this sentiment at resolutions around 4K or below, but it's important to note that as pixel density increases the need for exact rendering is lowered.
Unfortunately it's not a simple subject and the ideal display resolution cannot be described in linear resolution terms.
"Upscaling" is generally pretty bad in terms of the impact on sharpness (on this point it appears that both TAA and DLSS have similar results), but "Mixed Resolution" rendering should be the end goal.

Here is the problem: www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum-hyperacuity/index.html
Your eyes have different sensitivities to different kinds of image patterns.

Ideally we would all be using 8K screens, but not everything in a given frame should be rendered at native resolution.
If we could just get MSAA to work on Textures then we would already have the ideal solution, but as far as I know that's pretty much an impossibility.
My best bet is "Checkerboarding". Not necessarily exactly as implemented today, but in theory if you alternate your rendering pattern on each frame then Two Checkerboards+TAA=Native Resolution. Especially at 120hz a good Checkerboard 8K implementation should be practically impossible to notice.
Even if you don't get pixel perfect rendering accuracy on each frame, you still avoid jagged breaks in line patterns.