Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Achieving a quiet PC with decent cooling when needed?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
white owl
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Unless you're using 90mm fans the noise from case fans and coolers is negligible. The amount of noise these things make is up to you so it can be a quiet as you like. The only thing that's going to be making noise is the GPU and that totally depends on which card you get and what thermals you want.
If I go with a silent profile I can make it so I loose a little bit of GPU boost so my 1080 runs just under 2000mhz by keeping the fans from rising above an audible level (the default fan curve is already like this).
If your case is set up to efficiently remove heat from the GPU and CPU while having plenty of intake for both, there's really no need to run fans at full speed since they'll be moving enough air at lower speeds.
As always, how loud your rig sounds is totally up to you.
Plus all GPUs and motherboards offer a fan off setting so the fans aren't even running when idle (unless you want them to).

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 03-01-2019 at 09:06 AM.