Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

View Single Post
post #480 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Barefooter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 117 (Unique: 98)
Video Card Tubing

I going to power both of the video card LED strips off of one header on the motherboard. I didn’t want to splice the two cables together as this would be difficult to deal with both during the installation of the video cards, and whenever they are removed in the future.

I saw this little “Y” adaptor on PPCs so I ordered two of them.

I hooked up both LED strips to this “Y” adaptor and powered up the tester I use for testing LED strips and fans while outside the case, and only one LED strip lights up! It turns out that two of the wires are not making contact at the connector terminal end that plugs into the motherboard.

So I plugged the LED strips into the second “Y” adaptor, and find out that it has the same problem! The motherboard end is using dupont pins like the USB five pin cables use, so I cut the terminals off and crimped all new ones on. Now both LED strips work fine

I put a sleeve over the whole thing, and both LED strips plug in and work fine now. This will plug into the header below the 24 pin cable. I formed it with a 90° bend so the LED cables will go straight down behind the 24 pin cable bend, and plug into the adaptor.

Here you can see the video cards only have the waterblocks installed with no backplates. While I was waiting for the spacers I needed to install the backplates I worked on the tubing.

It took me four attempts to bend the tube going from the CPU block to the lower video card! The first one I didn’t quite heat the tube enough for the second bend, and it kinked a little bit. The second attempt I cut the section going into the CPU block a little too short. The third attempt I managed to basically do the same thing I did the second time

The fourth attempt I am happy with. The tube comes straight out, and the double bend is similar to all the bends on the long tubes going into the top and bottom radiators.

Also notice while I’m fitting all these tubes that I leave the secondary o-rings, and the collars off of all of the fittings until everything fits the way I want it to. The collars just get in the way, and can even scratch the tubing if you aren’t careful.

I was planning to make a bent piece of tubing going from the top video card to the 900P waterblock, but there is just not enough room on top to get a 90° bend and a fitting. I have a pretty good selection of various fittings on hand, and I must have tried a dozen different variations of fittings to make this work.

Finally this was the only combination that would even work at all. A single rotary 90 into the 900P waterblock along with a dual rotary pointed down to the video card waterblock. This actually lined up nicely with the port on the video card block, and when I put my level on the two fittings it is perfectly level

Also here you can see how the LED harness I recently re-did for the 900P now loops over the top, and down rather than going across the top of the waterblock.

After all four pieces of tubing are fit, cut, and bent to my satisfaction I pulled the video cards and tubing back out. I installed the video card backplates as previously shown once I had the required spacers.

Now I put all the secondary o-rings, and the collars back on the fittings. Here I use masking tape to hold the collars out of the way, and to prevent them from scratching the tubing. This also gives me some wiggle room while I installed these two video cards with the two connecting tubes all together at once.

These two shots show the mirror like reflection off of the back plates

All four tubes installed with all the collars locked down tight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3213.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	7.14 MB
ID:	258372  

Name:	DSC_3746.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	7.26 MB
ID:	258374  

Name:	DSC_3453-2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	258376  

Name:	DSC_3456-2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	258378  

Name:	DSC_3461-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	258380  

Name:	DSC_3793-2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	258382  

Name:	DSC_3739-2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	258384  

Name:	DSC_3743-2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	258386  

Name:	DSC_3758-2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	258388  

Name:	DSC_3767-2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	258390  

Name:	DSC_3769-2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	258392  

Name:	DSC_3775-2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	258394  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 03-10-2019 at 10:21 AM.