Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Relational Database setup question

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
NameUnknown
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 172 (Unique: 146)
Relational Database setup question

I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of days, so any input that could be offered would be great.

A little over a year ago I started to work on an application not dissimilar from Spiceworks for use at my job. I'd have used the aforementioned but it was creating and infinite loop to itself that the Security team flagged and we found that its process on target machines was sometimes hammering the systems. As such I started to plan out a web interface, VB.NET app, and a database but due to time constraints all of this was back burnered. Now it is time for my capstone project for school and I am doing an expanded version of the original idea. However, that brings me to my database issue.

The premise of the project is to query, store, accept manual input, and generate reports about assets. The issue I run into is those assets include desktops, laptops, scan guns with CE, scan guns with various versions of Android, printers, UPS systems, IP addresses, and network hardware. As such there are a number of shared properties for each asset type and A LOT that are different as well. The differences are where I have a problem though, how do you break those out into tables in a relational database in a way that makes sense? Or can you? The best solution I have so far is that the asset table has to have ALL of the properties and some are allowed to be null. For instance, how would i relate properties of an asset such as CPU Load, temperature, current user, total memory, available memory, total HD, available HD, etc.

I am not at my laptop right now so don't have the visio document with the design on it, but in short evreything revolves around events.

The event table has a one to many relation with the event_type table.
The event table has a many to one relation with the asset table.
the asset table has a one to many relation with the asset_type table.

Again, if anyone has some input on this, it would be appreciated. I really do not want to do a non relational DB with independent tables for each asset type.

. . .
Ever Evolving
(18 items)
CPU
Phenom II 1090T Black Edition
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
GPU
Diamond R9 280X
GPU
XFX R9 280X
RAM