Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Anandtech]Microsoft brings DX12 to Windows 7

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 AM
white owl
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post
Linus posted an interesting video on Techquickie about MS's overbearing updates policy with Win10 that I think does a good job of explaining exactly WHY they have chosen to go this route, despite the endless amount of flak they have received for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjC5jklb3o&t
Yep, you/he are spot on BUT there are other things to consider. Instead of sending out any update wherever they could do it once weekly or even monthly unless there's some legit security issue, it should also be my choice to not update at all even if it's at the cost of security. But the updates while annoying are acceptable IMO, the real issues are (to name a few) nagging about OneDrive, ads in Explorer and OneDrive, bloatware or ads for bloatware that MS re-installs if you delete it, the installation of "recommended" apps from the MS store, the list goes on and on.
If they're going to have ads and a couple of the other things I just listed the OS needs to be free, ads aren't acceptable in paid software. I can concur that MS is trying to make sure the OS is as good as it can be and that to do so they need to manage the OS to some extent but when I allowed Windows to do this the updates were relentless, seemingly daily. There should be an option when installing Windows for "powerusers" (if that's the right word) so that you can have a more classic OS that you manage on your own. Checking this option could revoke any liability on MS.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0