Modding the NVLink Bridge... again
As soon as I had the first video card waterblock installed, I reached over to my NVLink bridge to see how it fits… and it doesn’t fit! The pointed ends hit the terminal blocks of the video cards. Well I never saw that coming!
Obviously I was not happy about that! I immediately took out my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, and cut the tips of the NVLink bridge off. I figured if it doesn’t work I’ll have to buy a different NVLink bridge anyway.
I did take the bridge apart before cutting off the tips, and then filed it down flat.
It does fit on the video cards with the tips cut down like this. I’ll have to admit that I did consider just leaving this edge like it was because it hardly shows… but I just can’t do that.
I picked up some J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Epoxy Putty
. I have used J-B Weld before with great success, but this is the first time I’ve used this particular product. It is more of a putty consistency rather than liquid.
You just cut a piece off the end, the outer layer is blue and the inside is white, and then mix it together until it's all one color. This is how much I mixed up to use.
I just formed a piece on each end, and let it harden 24 hours.
Then I just used a file, and sandpaper to smooth it out to match the bridge.
I repainted the entire bridge, and let the paint dry for a week. Here’s a look at the bridge before I cut the tips off.
Here’s the new shorter modded version of the NVLink bridge. Looks good to me
Here we go with the NVLink bridge installed. One thing I neglected to mention in my post on installing the waterblocks, I also flipped the terminal blocks over so the “Watercool”
logo is right side up on my reverse ATX build. The terminal blocks are symmetrical, and therefore can easily be mounted either way.
I can’t tell you how happy this makes me! If you haven’t noticed it already, I have removed as many labels, logos, and branding as I can on this build. The “Watercool”
logos on the terminal blocks are going to be about the only really noticeable logos on the build.
I also swapped out the allen socket stop plugs in the terminal blocks for the Bitspower low profile stop plugs that I have used throughout the build.