Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [ProMarket] Amazon’s Latest Supplier Purge Is a Classic Indicator of Price Predation

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Senioritis Member

Rep: 521 (Unique: 328)
Quote: Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post
FBA is fulfillment by amazon. Basically you send your products to amazon for them to store and ship them. They also deal with any customer service.

Arbitrage is buying something cheap at retail and then selling it for a profit. Such as something goes on sale at your local Walmart. Said item normally sells for twice the price on Amazon. You buy a number of the items and then sell them on ebay, amazon, whatever. Basically a way to make some money selling stuff when you lack the funds to go all in on wholesale...
Close but not exactly. Fulfillment by Amazon means you provide the product to Amazon to warehouse and list, then when someone places an order, Amazon will fill the order, pack it, then ship it. The product doesn't have to be purchased from another retailer. it could be manufactured by you.

Arbitrage means the practice of selling someone else's goods without actually owning the goods. An example of a legitimate arbitrageur would be a stock broker. Not everyone has the knowledge required to navigate the ends and outs of buying and selling stocks, bonds, etc. so using a stock broker is basically hiring someone who does know the ends and outs and taking care of them for you. Another example is a real estate agent. The agent doesn't own the houses s/he sells; s/he is the one who does the listing for the homeowners, shows the listings to the buyers, then handles the legal aspects of the sale for the sellers and the buyers.

In short, these arbitrageurs are justified with what they do by either adding value to the products they sell or providing a service of value to the seller.

FBA Arbitrage, on the other hand, generally refers specifically to buying up retail products, often at close out or sale prices, then reselling them on Amazon at higher prices. While an argument could be made that making these products available for a larger customer base increase value for the end consumer, the practice also makes those products more expensive for customers who could have obtained the products for the same price the FBA Arbitrageur paid. The practice dances close to the line, usually on the wrong side, between providing a beneficial service and pure speculation, the latter being a despicable practice that is essentially thievery.

...I've been looking into this lately and have come to the conclusion that Arbitrage is a good way to get your feet in the door for selling online...
I feel the practice should be outlawed, the same as ticket scalping, which is similar, has been.

...The darker side of Arbitrage would be buying something like the NES classic for $60 at launch and then putting it up for $150 - $200 to take advantage of it being out of stock. This is the kind of behavior that gives arbitrage a bad name.
That scenario is not the only behavior that gives arbitrage a bad name. eBay is rife with fake vendors (scum), mostly Chinese, that simply list another company's products at a higher price as their own, then, when someone orders something from the scum, once the scum receives payment, the scum orders the product the legitimate vendor, pocketing the price difference. Both scenarios are directly equivalent to ticket scalping and should be outlawed for the same reasons.

Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Only I care to use newegg for is GPU's. And thats usually just to price them. Amazon for their great returns alone smokes
everyone else. No hassles ever.
I've never been hassled over returning anything to Newegg.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ryan92084; 03-18-2019 at 05:57 AM.