Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [[H]ard OCP] Epic's Tim Sweeney Calls Store Exclusives "Procompetitive"

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Crinn
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by appylol View Post
Well, there are other ways to compete.

Epic could try to differentiate it self from steam by offering new and or better services on the platform.
They could try to offer better support/customer service - does Epic even have an answer to the refund system on Steam?
They could develop great games in house and make them exclusive to the platform.
Even if they develop better features, no gamer would bother switching. After all, if I already have steam and my friends are on steam, what incentive would I have to bother with a new platform? It's more convenient to just stay on steam. Exclusive games are pretty much the only way to get a gamer to download a new launcher.

They could also take a cut similar or closer to Valve's 30% and pass the 'savings' onto the consumer by lowering prices.
Epic increasing their cut to 30% would result in games having higher prices not lower, because the game developer would have to increase prices in order to make equivalent revenue. You see the cut that the epic/steam take is largely arbitrary, it costs them pennies to host a game. Steam could charge a 2% cut and still turn a considerable profit. However for game developers that are struggling to make a living developing a game, the percentage cut is everything. This is why Epic's lower 12% cut is so appealing to developers.

They could develop great games in house and make them exclusive to the platform.
They already have, it's called Fortnite. (and Paragon before that)