Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion

View Single Post
post #9745 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 AM
GnarlyCharlie
Not a Fan

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
You probably have plenty of rads/fans, more rads won't help with short term spikes just long term loop temp stability.

Right after I did my 7980XE build, I did a similar experiment. All my pumps and fans are controlled from bios, so I can't really adjust on the fly. I didn't think flow (as long as it was "flowing", not just stagnant) was that big of a deal. My pumps go to 100% if I disconnect the fan header, so I started running something (maybe Blender Classroom since it takes a while to run), opened Afterburner since it has a CPU temp graph option, and just unplugged the fan header. The CPU temps dropped like 10 degrees before I could even look back at the monitor, so I ran them up to about 45% on a flat fan curve (I hate stuff ramping up and down anytime the CPU load changes) and that seemed to be a good spot, not a lot of temp difference from there to 100% - not nearly as much as from where I had 'em which was probably 20% or something to 45%. Not as silent as before, but not near loud and the sound never changes regardless of what I throw at it.

So yeah, I might be able to drop my temps a bit more if I ran the pumps at 100%, but it's good enough where it is now. I will say that I really do like pumps that go to 100% with no signal, I also have pumps that barely run with no signal and filling a loop like that is just tedious. I keep a spare PSU on hand to do loops so I don't have to disconnect everything and use the system PSU for loop changes/filling. I ought to break down and try one of those nice fan controllers.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post
I am sooo tempted to send you my 2080Tis for a clean mod...
You notice I didn't take any pictures of this go around? Yeah, there's a reason ;-)

It would have been fine if I had bought the right resistors, it was not a fun evening. The picture on the Mouser website showed what I thought I was getting, but there's a disclaimer that it's just representative. So yeah, it was a 8mOhm 2512, but just a different style. On the bright side, I know what's inside of them now. And that's what threw me, I melted the end of the "body" on one that was soldered fine - just no area on the solder strip to get the iron on there without touching it. So removing that one removed the body part and the actual resistor is just a metal strip in between the solder pads. I think it'd be easier to just ditch the body part and solder it that way and cover it back with liquid tape - or buy the right resistors in the first place.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by GnarlyCharlie; 03-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.