Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

View Single Post
post #489 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Barefooter
WaterCooler & Overclocker
 
Barefooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,393
Rep: 114 (Unique: 96)
Final Leak Test – Blitz Part 2 Flushing – List of Fittings Used

Since the loop is now complete, I ran a final leak test for 24 hours. A large portion of the loop has been running for quite some time now, but from the CPU block, through the video card blocks, the SSD block, the HDD blocks, and up to the top radiator on this side is all new or newly reinstalled. Thankfully no leaks!

I really debated whether or not I should do a final Mayhems Blitz Part 2 flushing because the fluid looks nice and clean, I can’t see any debris anywhere. Besides the fact that I already have the Blitz Part 2 on hand, there are three main reasons why I decided to go ahead and flush the entire system with Blitz Part 2.

First of all, even though I thoroughly flushed, and cleaned all the radiators with Blitz Part 1 and Blitz Part 2 early on before I installed the radiators, quite some time has passed since then. Secondly I’ve had just distilled water in the system several times, then drained the system, and it sat with some residual water in it for several weeks or months at a time.

The third reason is that although draining and filling the system in my workshop with it on a cart is fairly easy, but once this rig is moved into my office it will be a real pain to drain and fill. I will either have to put some wood blocks under the case to lift it up off of the floor, or more likely roll it over to the edge of the stairs, and put a bucket a few steps below to drain the coolant into.

The fluid with the Blitz Part 2 has a blueish tint to it, and also foams up especially as soon as you turn on the pumps.




Back when I put distilled water with red dye in the system when I had a soft tube bypassing the video cards remember how the red coloring just vanished after a few days? The Blitz Part 2 is obviously doing something here. This was after running the pumps a few times before the system was even full of the Blitz Part 2.




Here’s the other side. The pinkish coloring ended up turning mostly clear not long after it was completely full of Blitz Part 2 and it circulated for a bit.




After I flushed the system with Blitz Part 2 for 24 hours, I drained it into this five gallon bucket. On my last order to PPCs I added these shut off valves to the drain hoses, this way water does not come out as soon as the drain tubes are connected.

These are Barrow shut off valves, I’ve never used Barrow fittings. I wanted to try these because they have metal handles, unlike the Bitspower valves that have plastic handles. I have had three of the Bitspower ones and the handle has broken on every one of them!

These shut off valve do have a metal handle… however they don’t completely shut the water flow off! I was just going to leave these drain tubes hooked up until I was done flushing, but can’t since they leak. Not a big deal as I can easily remove the drain tubes from the quick disconnects. Just beware if you get these fitting they may not completely shut off the water flow.

I made sure to get the cart in the shot here especially for @OCDesign

Here you can see the Blitz Part 2 drained into the bucket, a spare power supply on the shelf powering up the pumps, and some spare distilled water on the bottom.




I was quite surprised to see how much debris was in the bottom of the bucket that had drained out of the system, especially how thoroughly I thought I had cleaned the radiators out originally.




It’s kind of hard to see in the photo.




The Blitz Part 2 instructions state to then fill the system, run for 30 minutes, then drain and fill a second time, run 30 more minutes and drain again, then you can put the coolant in. I really only had time to do one drain and fill each evening, so I filled the system with distilled water ran for 24 hours, then drained it the next evening. I got more debris out this time, but not nearly as much.

I filled the system again, and ran the pumps for another 24 hours. This time I only got a little bit of debris out, but there was still stuff in there. After a third fill and run over night, this time hardly any debris was in the bottom of the bucket. So I filled it a fourth time, and plan to leave that water in the system until everything is completely dialed in before I do a final drain and fill the system with coolant.

Fittings list

Now that the loop is completely finished I made a fitting inventory spread sheet of all the fittings used. I ended up using a total of 128 fittings, 45 of those were some kind of stop plug fitting, six of which came with the reservoirs. Just think about how many fittings I would have used if I had not switch to using bent tubing




.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3877.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	6.70 MB
ID:	260586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3879.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	6.87 MB
ID:	260588  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3884-2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	260590  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3889.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	6.73 MB
ID:	260592  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3891.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	6.42 MB
ID:	260594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3892.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	6.12 MB
ID:	260596  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fittings used.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	260598  



Barefooter is offline