Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - 2080 Ti - Working Shunt Mod

View Single Post
post #113 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Asmodian
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 189 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
The other thing I noticed, if I just up the power target to 130 and leave the clocks alone, the card clocks up to 2050 by itself, and it drops then into the high 1800s, low 1900s and back up. However with my overclock, it drops from 2190 to 2025 at lowest, so I dont think its a thermal limit, or a power limit, as that doesn't make any sense. If either was the cause, it would stop down clocking if its at lower clocks, and it doesn't stop. The card just down clocks, for seemingly no reason.
I think hitting the power limit causes very very short declocks to very low speeds. When it triggers it goes to 300 MHz for xx microseconds, or something similar, so we see these randomly timed stops averaged into our normal max clocks. This causes the reported clock rate to fluctuate down but that does not tell us anything about the real min clock that would allow it to never throttle.

Also, Nvidia has done a pretty amazing job at keeping power down without hurting performance very much. Increasing the max clock keeps increasing performance, even when the card is already triggering the power limit. I like steady clocks but it looks like opening up the power a lot is usually worth less than a +50 MHz OC, unless you have an unusually power heavy load. On battery or heat constrained I think this throttling tech would actually be very good.

I am not sure about your auto-decreasing power limit, I never saw that with my FE 2080 Ti.