Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Linux newb needs help

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
PhotonFanatic
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Linux newb needs help

Hi all. I'm trying to switch over to Linux as my daily os, but I'm having some kind of issue where my computer just freezes on the motherboard splash screen. I tried dual booting on my gaming rig about a year ago, and I got the same issue. So I gave up for awhile. Eventually I put together a dedicated linux rig, hoping that would solve the problem. For some reason, I'm still getting the exact same issue, on this other computer. Just like when I tried dual booting on the gaming rig, this new rig will boot into my distro a few times. You may get 5 reboots out of it. But then eventually it just freezes on the motherboard splash screen, and will never boot the distro again.

You've got to reinstall something in order to get it booting again. And because of that, it seems to me like this is either a bios or a bootloader issue. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Where you'd install linux, only to have the computer start freezing on the motherboard splash screen? Its totally locked up, you can't press Delete or F8 or anything, you just have to hold down the power button and turn it off.

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive