Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Linux newb needs help

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
PhotonFanatic
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Well I found out what the problem is. I have a USB switch, cause I don't want to have to unplug everything from my gaming rig, (main rig) and plug it into the linux rig every time I want to use the linux rig. So I'd just hit the switch, and everything would switch over. Nice and easy. Linux does NOT like it when you do that in the middle of the boot process lol. If you just wait until the OS is fully booted and you're looking at the desktop, it doesn't care. Everything works fine. But if you try and do that while its booting up, it will freeze on the motherboard splash screen. Yall were right about disabling the splash screen, I could see that it froze right when it got to checking the USB stuff.

I think the only reason I didn't catch it sooner, was that it wasn't doing it when I was booting windows. Windows I guess is more tolerant of that and it would just go ahead and accept it. So all I've got to do, is simply wait until linux is booted to hit the usb switch. Then it recognizes that it just had several new USB devices plugged in, and all is well. Thanks to all for the help!

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive