Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Car ac radiator and extreme over clocking question

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:00 AM
Cyber Locc
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.

Rep: 113 (Unique: 78)
Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
I was looking for daily use and to see what that setup was capable of.

I was zapped out by the time I listed the waterblock, I will def get something else. I really wouldn't want to replace the water pump over and over. "140 dollars full custom loop." Yeah but after looking at how easy it is to make your own oversized reservoir\radiator\fan setup.... The prices for tiny little radiator\res look like a joke.

Supposedly car ac radiators are usually copper.

If I do plan to tinker, I will get a reliable pump\water block. If it's not to hard on the pump Ill run it up to the attic to reduce noise\heat in my apt. Or closet. Regular pc Radiator\Fan\Res seem waaay over priced. They assume I care about having all my components inside my case. I can do better.

p.s. That liquid cooling system I brought premade in my first post failed in the first week and almost killed my rig (pump). I had to ship it back to get a replacement.
Ya the Rez, and rads and fans, if you dont care what they look like ect, go ham. The pump, and Block I would not skimp out on.

the biggest concern with the CPU block, Temps aside is the fact if that leaks, your system is KO. That is the last thing you want to start gushing water, you can get ray storms and such pretty cheap these days, its honestly worth it for the peace of mind alone. Same with pump, the risk of failure could be a problem. If the res leaks, its not a biggie, shoot I break resovoirs all the time, and fixn them with hot glue bwhahaha. However, I live by the motto there is some things you just dont cheap out on. Pumps, Blocks, and Power Supply's fall in that boat. Not to say thats fool proof, I have seen nice blocks leak, and have had a Corsair PSU catch on fire on me (luckily I was there, beside it when it happened, it literally caught on fire, after frying some cathodes and some Hard drives), so stuff still can happen, just minimizing risks.

That all said, I think you are going to find Car AC rads are not as cheap as you think. They are about the same price as our rads in that size range, look at heater-cores, thats a 120/140 rad at best, they are 40 dollars and so is a WC rad.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...343/18820061-P (pretty sure thats Alu)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B-RD...896772932.html 31 dollars, 140mm rad.

There is a reason we swicthed to pc fans, mostly to mount in the case, but for more optimal surface are nothing not hit by a fan and improved on pc rads for our needs over the years. Their is actually a lot of R&D that has went into improving our hobby.

I still think after finding the rad, adapting the fittings, getting a good pump and block, building all this and making it work, Material and Time invested, an EK fluid gaming kit would have been cheaper.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 03-29-2019 at 12:09 AM.