Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Overclock i7-920 or upgrade CPU?
View Single Post
post #55 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Blameless
Iconoclast

Rep: 3149 (Unique: 1877)
Quote: Originally Posted by OCmember View Post
Post screen shots to prove that.

EDIT: With the UD7 I'm using 24 PCIe lanes. The 1070, a sound card, and a NIC.

EDIT2: What board are you using, again? IIRC I had issues with this UD7 booting beyond 3.6Ghz before and the QPI PLL and IOH core helped. I can't remember what my EVGA 760 was set to but it was able to reach close to 4GHz but I'm not so sure it was stable.. it's been a while since using that board and I think I sold it off. Bought an 141 E770 Rev 1.0 a while ago and haven't even tested it. That might be a fun board to mess around with.
Did a quick test at 3.8GHz QPI with 1.2 QPI PLL and 1.1v IOH with my wife's computer this morning (it's an h.265 mkv file, about six minutes long): https://www.sendspace.com/file/etuxkr

Didn't want to fiddle with it too much as I didn't want to risk corrupting anything and having to reload the backups. I never really pushed high BCLKs with that X5670, but I'm sure I could get a bit higher at 1.2/1.1v if I spent some time on it.

I've only got two working X58 boards left, the one in my wife's computer is a Gigabyte X58A-UD5 2.0 and my seed box still has my working EX58-UD3R r1.1 in it. I sold one other EX58-UD3R a long time ago and killed a third. I've also killed an ASRock X58 Extreme, an ASUS P6X58D and P6TD Deluxe.

The ASRock board was a bit of a lemon, but all the other boards could hit ~220 BCLK at the 18/36x QPI multiplier with little or no IOH voltage increases. They all had the ~4GHz QPI hard wall though, as does pretty much every unmodded X58 board, except some of the later OC focused models, like the Gigabyte X58-OCA.

Most of my LGA-1366 CPUs would scale to ~3.8GHz QPI with 1.1v QPI PLL, but much past that I recall there being a lot of variance. Past 3.9GHz most of them started to need a lot of voltage, but I rarely never needed to run such high BCLKs. Since 2011 most of my LGA-1366 parts have been 32nm Westmeres and Gulftowns, so maybe I'm miss remembering how much QPI PLL my i7-920s required...but 1.4v still sounds quite extreme to me. I'll check through some of my old threads here to see what exactly I was doing with my last 920.

Anyway, I know I've never experienced the need to keep QPI PLL and IOH voltage the same, nor have I generally needed to touch IOH voltage very much, unless the bulk of the directly attached PCI-E lanes were loaded. Even then my GTX 480 SLI and R9 290 CFX setups still only needed 1.2v IOH at 3.8GHz QPI.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson