Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Kryonaut drying out?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 AM
Blameless
Iconoclast

Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by skawster View Post
pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ykaa4sf

Got some Kryonaut to try out, repasted a few PCs including an old 2600k under a NH-D14, the CPU is OCed to 4.8 @ 1.38v and is predominantly used for gaming and on average sits at ~67C under load. I applied the paste as TG recommends, by spreading it out, and everything seemed fine, the temps were good (very similar to the previous application of Noctua's NT-H1) and nothing seemed wrong.

Yesterday, a month after the initial application, I decided I needed the NH-D14 for another PC so I took it off only to find out that the Kryonaut underneath dried out in the exact spot where the CPU die is, what's weird is that I did run a 15min prime95 v26.6 small FFT test and the temps were exactly as the day I applied it.

I wouldn't care much about the paste drying up as the temps are the same if I also didn't use the same tube of Kryonaut for a GTX 1080ti Poseidon which is in a custom loop and has been exhibiting quite abnormal temps, namely when I first replaced the paste on it the temps were around 14-16c delta (water to gpu temp) but now under the same conditions the have went up to 20-21c and being that the paste on the GPU is a month older than on the 2600k it seems like it's reached a point that it's affecting the temps.

TL;DR Used Kryonaut for the first time, dried up a bit after a month of being used on a 2600k, didn't affect the temps but a GTX 1080ti Poseidon in a custom loop repasted with the same tube is now exhibiting higher temps deciding if I should drain the loop and repaste the GPU.
Are you sure it was actually dried out and not simply disturbed by thermal expansion/contraction cycles?

I rarely advise just spreading a thin layer of TIM unless both contact surfaces are extremely flat and made of materials with similar expansion coefficients. Putting a small dab in the center after placing a thin later is usually wise, to ensure that there are no voids.

GPU dies also need extra care as they are so large and generally not lidded. A little extra TIM, again to displace any air and ensure there are no voids, as well as to account for any pump out that may occur early on, is something I've always advocated.

I'm not yet convinced of the extreme long term viability of Kryonaut, but only lasting a month sounds like an application error.

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
well I have used AS5 for years, and it has always worked well for me. so that is what I would suggest, repaste with AS5.
AS5 works well enough in most scenarios, but has been long since surpassed in every metric (performance, value, longevity, safety, ease of application, ease of clean up, etc) by a whole slew of more modern TIMs.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson