Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Gpu passthrough ? (physical monitor connections where?)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
dagget3450
Expert pin bender

Rep: 152 (Unique: 91)
Gpu passthrough ? (physical monitor connections where?)

I wasn't really sure where to post this question but its a combo of stuff in a question. I couldn't find answers one this but i may be asking incorrectly or using wrong terminology.(when searching online)

In short i see stuff done like UnRaid with gpu passthough and the ability to dedicated hardware(GPU) in this case. I see tons of videos showing how to set this up software wise, but not hardware. So here is my question:

When dedicating a GPU to a VM or GPU passthrough however its defined, DO you HAVE to connect a monitor to the gpu being dedicated? I mean as in physically connecting a vga cable/hdmi/dvi/dp to the gpu for that VM? Or does it use the primary gpu to display the VM?

I realize this may be a broad question but lets try to stick with UNraid as the primary example, if someone could explain it in the case of other VM software that would be cool also.

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner