Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Don't knock the Hyper 212 EVO

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 PM
white owl
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shenhua View Post
Because those coolers are not always available or at the 30 bucks mark. Also the h7 is very, very slightly better, not much better and the true spirit 140 it's not in the same class, nor by price or performance. It's a much, much better cooler than more often than not, costs double.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
It's a $6 difference between the 212 and the 140 direct on Newegg
The only reason I used those coolers as an example is becasue they're well known.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-...ernatives.html

Better is better, an H7 can cool as much a 5c better than a 212 on something as lite as a 4790k with only 1.3v, that gap would get much larger if you add more power. Plus the 212 feels like flimsy piece of crap, that was my first impression of it.

What sort of argument was that anyway? You're going to buy a lower quality cooler with worse performance to save $3-5? The gammaxx is equal quality for $20 and the PureRock is better in every way for the same money.

Ignoring the H7 entirely there are still a pile of coolers better than a 212 for about the same price or as good for less. If they sold the 212 for $20 again that would be different.

You can still buy the H7 direct from Cryorig on Newegg FYI...if you don't want to wait on that it's not like you're starved for choices.

Scales like crazy in performance? What does that even mean? More vertical = more TDP? I guess vertical works if you don't have a GPU...or don't care that the CPU or GPU are cuddling for warmth. The 212 can't compete with the stock wraith cooler for PPD, since the wraith is free it has infinite PPD. Also you can get a 212 equivalent for $20 so it's moot from every angle.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 04-20-2019 at 06:04 PM.