Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [OCN LABS] 280MM CPU Cooling Fight! Enermax Liqtech II 280 AIO vs Swiftech H240X2 Prestige (custom water)

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 AM
Venomal1c3
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post
I own a Enermax product (LEPA LC-240) and the cooler I had already posted why not to, or caution on buying.

First they are out marketing like all these days Boosting the product, but out of the box both time the one of the two cooling fans rattle horrendously and it is something they should check before packing or shipping for that matter. I don't enjoy expecting the product to be solid and it is faulty out of box.

The second thing is yes the unit lasted one month before the warranty was up. We relocated and after plugging up I was having issues with shutting down for no reason. Turns out the coolant had all but evaporated. After removing the unit shaking the radiator you could here very little coolant within.

After a rather hassle of a time trying to return they finally sent me a replacement unit, as I stated above out of box new wrapping defective fan. Don't get me wrong I do like the fan blade design but a bit more Q&A could prove better to the consumers.

As with any choice of AIO or Liquid Cooling do keep a factory or aftermarket CPU cooler on hand with extra Thermal Paste of choice.

Always have a backup. I not saying the units here are bad, I stating buyer beware as I found the elbows hoses from the block push pretty hard against my memory stick that places a lot of pressure on the mounting area. Again very thick hose as concept that it can maintain less chance of evaporation.

The product can work fine but Q&A should be a bit better, Some of these issue do not show till weeks or months of usage.
Enermax Support is rather shoddy to with all the requirement to take photos and removing this and that, only to get a refurbished unit with x2 new fans mounts and all.

Cheers!
I have an Enermax Liqmax II 120S & one of the factory fans actually leaks oil! Not a ton, but it is noticeable. I had to have my wife confirm I wasn't crazy & just seeing things. I contacted Enermax about it, they suggested I detach the fan blades (btw, probably the greatest innovation to fans besides the "Fluid" or "Hydro" updated bearing designs) & reattach them after a minute or so. I guess to ensure it was correctly seated or something. They also told me if that didn't solve the problem to contact them & provide more information & pictures of the fan & serial numbers & whatnot, so they could open up a ticket for a warranty RMA.

I did as suggested in regards to the fan, making sure to clean the blades & frame thoroughly before mounting back on the rad, something that Enermax hadn't suggested I do. Well, it took about a week before I started to see the tell tale sign of the bearing weeping oil: a darkening of the back of the blades more prominent at the bottom of the blades, & a clearly visible ring of what would appear to be moisture (gee, I wonder why? ) all the way around the inside of the frame. I was checking it every time I shut down my rig, I'd shine my Fenix flashlight into the side window of my case & inspect the fan.

Now I have to dig up the email & the pics I took so I can have it fixed/replaced while it's still under warranty. It wasn't affecting the performance YET, but eventually it will. I have another fan, also an Enermax, a Vegas LED fan, in the defective one's place for now. Looks cooler, doesn't sling droplets of oil around, but it is more audible & lacks rubber on the corners to reduce vibration. Also, they aren't the Batwing design, so the static pressure isn't as good & it's the push fan, of course. I did have a Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM fan in its place for a while, excellent fan, very quiet, & only maybe a degree or two warmer temps overall. Overall, the AIO is not bad, I probably should have gone for the 240, but it didn't seem like there would be enough clearance between the mobo & case since the best option in the current setup is as an exhaust.

Would I buy another Enermax/Lepa AIO? Probably not. I do, however, like their fans & I feel they fall somewhere between "good" & borderline "great" depending on the particular model & if it works flawlessly. That detachable blade thing is tits, though! I have 3 other fans with that feature, one of which is a front intake & therefore gets de bladed at least once a month & sometimes more. Still quietly spinning & looking cool (LED model) & much quieter than the Corsair fan beneath it/farther away from me. It's been there for about 2 years. I've not had any problems with it or the other fan

Oh, my backup is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I'd likely put the Fractal fan mentioned above on it as I've done in the past, because it's way quieter than the stock CM fan.