Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - New Build, Inverted Layout, Cooling Options

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
schmittmj99
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
New Build, Inverted Layout, Cooling Options

Hello there.

I've been acquiring pieces for a new build and have been trying to finalize my cooling method. I've browsed the forums here for awhile, and would like to get some opinions on my air cooling options and go from there.

First, thanks for your time in reading this post.

My current plan has the following components:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master (have in hand)
CPU: Intel 8086k (verified up to 5.3ghz @ 1.35v, have in hand), but could also change to an Intel 9900k (verified up to 5.2ghz @ 1.37v)
RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 (tall head spreader, have in hand from prior build)
GPU: EVGA 1080Ti SC Black with a Morpheus II (have in hand)
Storage: 2 x M.2 NVMe drives (no obstructions from drives or cables)
Case: Be Quiet Dark Base 700 in the inverted layout (my PC sits on a shelf that is anchored to the wall about 4 feet off of the floor to my left side, thus the inverted layout to put the glass window on the "correct" side)

My thoughts were the following:

Modify the Dark Base 700 by cutting up the top and front panels along with the rear fan mount and installing a mesh grill or dust filter depending on them being used for intake or exhaust.

Cooling Options:

A: Dual Intake (Front,Rear), Top Exhaust

Intake:
2 or 3 x 140 mm fans in the front to act as intakes for the GPU and other components (though with 3 it is more like 2.5 to the main component chamber, as the lowest mounted fan sits half into the PSU chamber)
1 x 140 mm fan on the rear to act as an intake for the CPU cooler

Exhaust:
1 - 3 x 120 or 140 mm fans in the top to exhaust air off of the GPU and other components (my thoughts are that these would pull up from the GPU and CPU to get rid of the hottest air)

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pulling air from under the cooler over the VRM and RAM and up out of the top of the case
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pushing or pulling air from the rear through the tower over the RAM, meeting the front intake air and being exhausted out the top of the case

Notes:
This seems the best for the GPU as it provides fresh air for the Morpheus and shouldn't allow heat re-circulation with the pull configuration
CPU may not by cooled effectively if the front intake air meeting the CPU exhaust air isn't dealt with by the top exhaust fans, could have some residual heat build up at the bottom of the case, or hot air re-circulate some around the CPU cooler
May not need all or any exhaust fans

B: Front Intake, Dual Exhaust (Top, Rear)

Intake:
3 x 140 mm fans in the front to act as intakes for the GPU and other components (though with 3 it is more like 2.5 to the main component chamber, as the lowest mounted fan sits half into the PSU chamber)

Exhaust:
1 - 3 x 120 or 140 mm fans in the top to exhaust air off of the GPU and other components (my thoughts are that these would pull up from the GPU to get rid of the hottest air)
1 x 140 mm fan on the rear exhaust the CPU

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pulling air from under the cooler over the VRM and RAM and up out of the top of the case
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pushing or pulling air from the front over the RAM through the tower and being exhausted out the rear of the case

Notes:
This seems the best for the GPU as it provides fresh air for the Morpheus and shouldn't allow heat re-circulation with the pull configuration
This may be better for the CPU as it can use front intake air and get rid of it out the rear

C: Dual Intake (Top, Rear), Front Exhaust

Intake:
3 x 140 mm fans in the top to act as intakes for the GPU and other components
1 x 140 mm fan on the rear to act as an intake for the CPU cooler

Exhaust:
1 - 3 x 120 or 140 mm fans in the front to exhaust air off of the GPU, CPU and other components

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pushing air through the cooler over the VRM and RAM and being exhuasted out the front
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pulling air from the rear through the tower over the RAM and being exhausted out the front

Notes:
This may not be best for the GPU as it could allow heat re-circulation around the Morpheus with the push configuration
This may be better for the CPU as it can use front intake air and get rid of it out the rear

If there is another option that you can see, let me know.

What equipment to use?

If possible I would prefer to have a black heatsink (for aesthetics), but isn't necessary.

I would also like to have completely black fans (no RGB necessary, prefer the fans to "blend" into the case). I have no issues replacing any pre-installed fans to fit the color scheme, even if they are solid performers, assuming the replacement is equal.

I would greatly prefer a CPU cooler that doesn't cover any RAM slots after fan mounting, but would sacrifice a couple not seen if it meant a worthy increase in cooling performance.

Based on those "restrictions", I'm currently looking at the following CPU coolers based on what I think will fit with my RAM and motherboard.

Phanteks PH-TC14PE (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black)
Scythe Fuma Rev B (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black)
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B (I would use up to 2 fans, replaced with all black)
Noctua NH-D15 (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black cromax)
Noctua NH-D15S (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black cromax)
Noctua NH-U14S (I would use up to 2 fans, replaced with all black cromax)
Noctua NH-U12A (I would use up to 2 fans, replaced with all black cromax)
Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev B (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black)
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power (I would use up to 2 fans, replaced with all black)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate (I would use only a center fan, replaced with all black)

For replacement tower cooler fans, and case fans I'm currently looking at the following in 120 and 140mm sizes depending on application:

Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 High Speed PWM
Noctua Cromax PWM
Corsair ML Pro PWM
Phanteks MP

Some example configs could be ...

Cooling Option C with
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power with a BQ SW3 High Speed 140 mm fan
Morpheus II with 2 x BQ SW3 High Speed 120 mm fans
4 x BQ SW3 High Speed 140 mm fans for intake (3 top, 1 rear)
3 x BQ SW3 High Speed 140 mm fans for exhaust (3 front)

or

Cooling Option C with
Noctua NH-U14S with a Noctua Cromax NF-A15HS 140 mm fan
Morpheus II with 2 x Noctua Cromax NF-S12A or NF-F12 120 mm fans
4 x Noctua Cromax NF-A15HS or NF-A14 140 mm fans for intake (3 top, 1 rear)
3 x Noctua Cromax NF-A15HS or NF-A14 140 mm fans for exhaust (3 front)

I thank you for trying to digest this if you have made it this far, and for any opinions and help you can provide. If I have missed something, please let me know.

Thanks

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BQDB700InvCoolingC.png
Views:	8
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	268118  

Name:	BQDB700InvCoolingB.png
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	268120  

Name:	BQDB700InvCoolingA.png
Size:	723.2 KB
ID:	268122  

Last edited by schmittmj99; 05-04-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added cooling option images