Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Corsair 570X Fan and Airflow Advise

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 AM
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1641 (Unique: 920)
Quote: Originally Posted by CelticGamer View Post
This turned out to be a fantastic piece of advice. I went ahead and removed the PCIe slot covers, four of them, and my temps started to drop dramatically. Apparently, I just wasn't getting good ventilation out the back, probably due to the 120mm radiator installed in the rear.
Keep in mind case airflow is determined by the smaller of intake or exhaust airflow potential. A case only flows as much air as the smaller of the two. So if exhaust vent area (with or without fans) is only 1/2 the size of intake area then the case's airflow will only be as much air as can exhaust through the exhuast venting. Most cases have lots of front and top venting, even bottom venting, but I can't think of any with more than 1 fan vent in the back.

By removing all PCie slot covers you opened up at about another fan's worth of vent area and improved the front to back airflow around GPU and thus move it's heated exhaust air out the back much faster.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base