Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - New Build, Inverted Layout, Cooling Options

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
schmittmj99
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hello there again.

Since I am a big procrastinator, I haven't done anything yet. I have gone over my initial plans and revised some things based on some feedback.

Here is where I now stand:

The current plan has the following components:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master (have in hand)
CPU: Intel 8086k (verified up to 5.3ghz @ 1.35v, have in hand), but could also change to an Intel 9900k (verified up to 5.2ghz @ 1.37v)
RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 (tall heat spreader, have in hand from prior build)
GPU: EVGA 1080Ti SC Black with a Morpheus II (have in hand)
Storage: 2 x M.2 NVMe drives (no obstructions from drives or cables)
Case: Be Quiet Dark Base 700 in the inverted layout (my PC sits on a shelf that is anchored to the wall about 4 feet off of the floor to my left side, thus the inverted layout to put the glass window on the "correct" side)

My thoughts were the following:

Modify the Dark Base 700 by cutting up the top and front panels along with the rear fan mount and installing a mesh grill or dust filter depending on them being used for intake or exhaust.

Cooling Options:

Revised A: Front Intake, Dual Exhaust (Top, Rear)

Intake:
2 x 140 mm fans in the front

Exhaust:
Natural exhaust due to static pressure (option to add dedicated fans to top and/or rear)

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pulling air from under the cooler over the VRM and RAM and up out of the top of the case
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pushing air from the front through the tower and being exhausted out the rear of the case

Revised B: Dual Intake (Front, Top), Rear Exhaust

Intake:
3 x 120 mm fans in top
1 x 120/140 mm fan in the front

Exhaust:
Natural exhaust due to static pressure (option to add dedicated fan to the rear)

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pushing air through the cooler over the VRM and RAM and being exhuasted out the rear
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pushing air from the front through the tower and being exhausted out the rear of the case

Revised C: Dual Intake (Front, Top), Rear Exhaust

Intake:
3 x 120 mm fans in top
2 x 120/140 mm fan in the front

Exhaust:
1 x 140 mm fans in rear

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans pushing air through the cooler over the VRM and RAM and being exhuasted out the rear

Revised D Watercooling: Dual Intake (Top, Rear), Front Exhaust

Intake:
360 radiator with 3 x 120 mm fans in the top
1 x 140 mm fan in the rear

Exhaust:
240 radiator with 2 x 120 mm fans in the front

Component Cooling:
GPU and CPU on same loop

Revised E Old Case (Silverstone FT-02): Bottom Intake, Top Exhaust

Intake:
2 x 180 mm AP183 fans in bottom

Exhaust:
1 x 140 mm fan in top

Component Cooling:
GPU: Morpheus II with 2 x 120mm fans being exhuasted out the rear
CPU: Dual or Single Tower cooler with fan(s) pushing air from the bottom through the tower and being exhausted out the top of the case

I have debated going the option D route, as it would be more costly, but it would also be fun to try my hand at a better water cooling setup, in order to better ensure my chip hits my desired overclock, but am just not sure yet. I have also debated going with option E, though using a new case would be more fun.

Question ... if using something like option B or C and the Morpheus ends up being within 1" - 1.5" or so from the top intake fans ... is it necessary to actually install fans on the cooler?

What equipment to use?

Based on some self imposed restrictions, I am currently looking at the following CPU coolers based on what I think will fit with my RAM and motherboard.

Noctua NH-U12A (I would use up to 2 fans, replaced with Cromax or BQSW3HS120s)
Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power (I would replace the fan with a Cromax A15), this one is the closest to not fitting, it may brush the first DIMM slot and tilt the module slightly.
Cryorig R1 Ultimate (I would use only a center fan, and replace it with a Cromax A15)

For replacement tower cooler and case fans I'm currently looking at the following in 120 and 140mm sizes depending on application:

Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 High Speed PWM
Noctua Cromax PWM

If I go the water cooling route, I am liking the added performance of getting closer to a custom loop, but with more ease of an AIO install that the Swiftech Drive X3 units provide. I would replace all of the fans with either BQSW3HS120s or Noctua Cromax. Doing this though on a H240X3 and H360X3 and joining the loops, it may just make more sense to go full custom.

I thank you for trying to digest this if you have made it this far, and for any opinions and help you can provide. If I have missed something, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BQDB700InvCoolingRevD.png
Views:	5
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	269908  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BQDB700InvCoolingRevC.png
Views:	5
Size:	668.0 KB